93. (MCU) Druig - 'Til We Meet Again

https://itsapeterthing.tumblr.com/

pairing: druig x timetraveler!readersummary: although not an immortal yourself, the love you and druig have for each other transcends time.word count: 5.2kwarnings: the eternals spoilers, fire, destruction, mention of the fall of tenochtitlan, angst, fluff

----

5,000 B.C.

The first time he saw you was seven thousand years ago.

For the first time, Druig had become frustrated with his fellow eternals for not intervening in human affairs when it left the vulnerable in danger. Although he had expected for the others to see from his point of view, they had all argued against him, reminding Druig that their place was to guide humans, not to lead them.

He had stormed from the Domo down to the river they were settled near and kneeled on its bank, admiring the way that the water rushed through his fingers as it flowed downstream. The eternals had told him that like the river, life and progress flowed in a linear path and he couldn't disrupt the current. He understood where they were coming from, but Druig had never quite believed that life or time was as simple as that.

Splashing the water in frustration, Druig looked up, and when he did, he couldn't help but do a double take, thinking for a moment that your figure was just a figment of his imagination.

When he finally took you in, he noticed your eyes trained on him in a way he had never seen before. It wasn't a look of confusion or fear or even unconditional admiration, it was one of peace and understanding- loving even.

And you looked... different. Druig could tell the second he laid eyes on you that you didn't belong. Your clothes were too clean, your skin too soft- if they placed you on the ship beside Thena, Sersi, Ajak and Makkari he wouldn't have thought twice about you being an eternal. He could compare you alongside any of his fellow beings.

What confused him even more was that when he tried to reach inside your head, to understand your mind... he hit a wall.

You didn't let him in.

Druig pushed himself off of the sand and to his feet, still shocked by the fact that you had the ability to keep him out but trying not to allow his face to betray those emotions. When he stepped one foot into the river, however, to cross the water over to you, you quickly stood up.

Tentatively, he took another step forward but when he did, you matched one backwards.

"Wait," He pleaded. "Stay. I won't hurt you."

And for a single second, you opened your mind to him.

"I know."

But the next second, you had bolted away from him into the trees.

Rushing through the river, Druig followed your footprints marked in the dirt below and trailed you through the trees. When he saw your footprints stop behind a singular large tree, he halted his chase.

Instead stepping slowly, careful to not even step on a twig, Druig made his way around the the trunk and when he saw you standing with your back against it, head turned in the direction opposite of him, he reached his hands out and pinned you to the tree.

When your head whipped back to face him as Druig pushed you further into the tree's wood, you didn't look at him with any inkling of fear in your eyes, only joy.

When a laugh escaped your lips, he furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"Who are you?" Druig asked.

"I don't know if you're ready for that yet." You said finally, your voice music to his ears.