64. (Jurassic World) Owen Grady - Opportunities Passed

https://fandom-what-ifs.tumblr.com/

Hiiiiiii! Sorry for the bother but are you still writing for Owen Grady? If you are, would you please write something about him admitting his feelings to the reader? (And if you are not, just delete this). Have a great day! ^^

----

"Hey."

Owen lifts his head up at the sound of your voice and swivels around to face you from where he sits on the half-demolished stone stairs of the Lockwood Estate. You smile softly. "How's Maisie?" is Owen's first response.

Your sigh and let your eyes drift away from him to the ground. "She's alright. Sleeping. Claire's watching her." You take the last couple of steps down to Owen and sit next to him.

Despite all of the horrors the property had seen that night, the landscape is still beautiful. The early morning is just beginning to creep up on you, and soft white sunlight peeks through the trees, leaving dappled shadows across the lawn. The sky above you is a gentle gray color, which fades back to indigo on the western horizon. Birds are singing in the trees and the sound is almost like a consolation to you, and you feel yourself finally begin to relax.

Owen notices you visibly sag in relief. "How are you?" he asks.

You turn your head to glare at him with a playful frown. "That's a vague question." When his gaze and his question doesn't relent, your smile slips and you look back toward the treeline. "I'm okay. Worried, but okay." Owen nods and follows your gaze, but you glance back at him.

He has a tiredness about him that goes beyond lack of sleep. You think you all do, but the way he's squinting toward the sunrise right now worries you. You take his hand in yours and rest your interlocked fingers on his knee. "How are you?" you prod gently.

Owen glances at you and forces the corners of his mouth up. "I'm okay." Satisfied with that answer (for the moment), you nod and scoot closer to him so you can rest your head on his shoulder.

For a while, the birds chirping and the distant sounds of rustling in the forest are the only sounds accompanying the both of you.

Until Owen grips your hand tighter, and you feel him turn his head to look at you. "You know I love you, right (y/n)?"

Although your heart begins to pound faster at his words, you manage to stay still and keep your cool. Somewhat. "I do," you confess.

For almost as long as you've known Owen, you've known how he feels toward you. And you're just as sure that he knows the feeling is mutual. Anyone can tell just by the way you two look at each other and interact: You could be having the simplest conversation, but the depth in both of your gazes is different than how friends look at each other. Almost every time the two of you are together, you're touching each other in some way, whether it be leaning on each other or a hand on your back. It's just habitual at this point, and neither of you has any intention of breaking the habit.

But this is the first time either of you has mentioned your feelings out loud and in the open.

After another few moments of comfortable silence, Owen wonders, to no one in particular, "Why didn't we ever do anything?"

You raise your head and meet his gaze. "Maybe because when we first met, we worked on opposite ends of the island, and from there on until now, we've been running from dinosaurs." Owen chuckles and you smile, leaning into him more. "There hasn't exactly been an opportune time to figure 'us' out."

He laughs again and squeezes your hand in his. n"Is there anything to figure out?" he probes.

You purse your lips and shake your head. "Not from me."

"Me either." He grins at you and you beam back, and before either of you can say anything else, he leans down and plants a soft kiss on your lips. It doesn't last long, just a simple peck, but when he pulls away, you can feel fire racing through your body.

"I love you," he whispers against your lips.

You whisper back, "I love you too," and kiss him once more before resting your head back on his shoulder.

A loud crack sounds from the treeline and you flinch violently at the sudden loud noise. Before you can blink Owen is back on his feet and putting himself in front of you. Just in case. You push yourself to your feet and join him in scanning the trees for any sort of danger that could walk out. When you see nothing, you sag in relief and wrap your arms around Owen's waist. He hugs you back just as tightly.

You know why Owen has been sitting out here nearly since the whole ordeal ended–He's been watching for if any of the dinosaurs would come wandering back. No matter where the two of you go now, you will always be looking over your shoulder for a set of sharp teeth.

"This is never going to go away," you mumble into Owen's chest.

He clutches you just a bit tighter. "There's nothing else that we can do. Blue's gone, and we've alerted the authorities about what happened." He pulls you closer because he knows what he's about to say next is just wishful thinking at this point. "For once, this is completely out of our hands."

You lift your head up and let Owen see your anxious expression. "At some point, this is going to end up back in our hands, whether we like it or not."

Owen's lips press into a thin line and he nods gravely. "I know." He kisses your forehead once more before tucking you back into his chest. "We can worry about that later."