75. (MCU) Shang Chi - Raincheck

https://itsapeterthing.tumblr.com/

pairing: xu shang-chi x avenger!readersummary: when some being threatens the universe, you have to cancel your date night with shang-chi except you made the mistake of having stephen strange do it for you. now, after days of fighting you make it your mission to apologize to the man of your dreamsword count: 2.5kwarnings: brief description of reader being wounded

----

"Not tonight, Wong." You said, not even bothering to turn around when you heard the portal open behind you as you applied another layer of mascara. "I'm busy."

"Not when the universe is at stake." Wong argued, huffing and puffing. "We need you."

"Can't you and Strange figure it out for yourselves tonight?" You asked, spinning around in your seat. "I have a date."

Before Wong could even warrant a reply to your excuse, you watched as another portal opened besides his, a disheveled Stephen Strange stepping into your bedroom.

"Why don't we just make it a party?" You grumbled, crossing your arms.

Acting almost as though he didn't hear you, Stephen turned to Wong.

"What's taking you so long?"

"She says she has a date." Wong said, side-eyeing you.

Facing you once again, Stephen pinched the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger, sighing deeply.

"The fabric of the universe is hanging in the balance and you can't help because you have a... a date?" He asked. "You realize how ridiculous you sound, right?"

"You know," You said, grabbing your shoes and slipping them onto your feet. "If you ever answered Christine's phone calls maybe you would be a little more understanding-"

You should've known he would shut down that conversation real quick.

"Look, we don't have time for this, Y/n." Stephen said sternly. "It's him again."

Without even saying his name, you knew who he was talking about.

It was almost laughable how neither of you would say his name aloud, but as memories of your two day long battle with "him" came flooding back to you, you couldn't help the shiver that ran down your spine.

"So we need to leave now." Stephen said. "Who knows how much damage he's already done."

You knew there was no possibly way you were getting out of this- you couldn't. This was the life you had chosen, but as you heard your phone ringing on the desk behind you, you sighed already knowing who was on the other end and the decision you were about to make.

"Fine." You said dejectedly, picking up your phone and seeing your date's name flash on the screen. "But," You said striding over to Strange and shoving your phone into his chest. "You tell him I'm busy."

Before he could argue with you about how he would absolutely not be answering your phone, Wong opened the portal to where the two of them had just come from and you stepped over to the other side. Sending Strange one last shrug, Wong followed you into the madness.

-

Standing in front of the karaoke bar you had promised to meet him in front of four days before, Shang-Chi anxiously balled one of his hands into a fist in his pocket while the other held the phone he was fearing would go to voicemail the longer it rang.

Maybe you were just running late. Maybe you were just confused by the different time zones. Maybe you just didn't want to see him. With every ring worse and worse scenarios arose in his mind and all he could think was maybe, maybe, maybe.