69. (MCU) Druig - For You? I Do

https://itsapeterthing.tumblr.com/

pairing: druig x eternal!readersummary: when you and druig are caught alone together in 1814 england, you two come up with a plan to fake your engagement and marriage to protect your new identities. as time goes on, you both realize that your feelings are far more than platonic and that calling each other your spouse may be what you both have always wantedword count: 4.6kwarnings: mentions of fire, marriage, angst and fluff

----

Druig watched as yet another man asked you to share a dance with him before whisking you off of your feet and onto the dance floor. There wasn't a single song that had played that night that you hadn't had a partner for and as the night grew old, Druig prayed there wouldn't be much more. He understood the significance of it- the dancing, the society, the making yourself seem eligible- but he could barely stomach it regardless.

"Druig, if you don't ask a girl to dance soon, they'll begin to get suspicious."

Sitting up straighter at the sound of your voice in his head, Druig glanced over his shoulder to where you danced with the man, your eyes straying to Druig's before falling back on your dance partner and nodding along with whatever he had said.

"And if you don't stop dancing, you'll have a proposal by the end of the night."

The smile on your face faltered just long enough for Druig to catch it.

"Please, Druig," You thought. "It's all in good fun."

Taking a sip from his glass, he rolled his eyes.

"And they say I'm the selfish one."

Despite the fact that the group of eternals as a whole had separated years ago, you and Druig had never strayed too far from one another. Even when you tried to escape each other- wherever one eternal had gone- the other wouldn't be too far behind. If he was the mind, you were the heart and together you made one fully functioning person that neither of you could survive without.

He came to these balls for you but as he checked his watch and saw the clock strike ten, he was nearly convinced he wouldn't be able to survive another ten minutes.

"You know," The older woman seated at the same table said. "It truly is a shame for a man to sit out when there are so many eligible young ladies waiting patiently to be asked to dance."

And just then- Druig was thoroughly convinced he couldn't spend another second in that sweltering room.

Without another word, Druig pushed himself up from the table and sought the nearest exit. On the other side of the room you watched as your best friend practically fled the ball, and without even apologizing, you separated from your dance partner and rushed as inconspicuously as you could out of the room.

"Dru?" You called into the foyer outside the ballroom. "Druig!"

Taking a second to breathe, you listened closely and heard a bit of rustling from a nearby coat closet. Stepping carefully towards the door, you swung it open and almost laughed at the sight of Druig sitting on the floor of the closet amidst a pile of outerwear.

"I'm sorry..." You said, crossing your arms and trying your hardest not to break into a fit of laughter. "Are you hiding right now? How very human of you, Dru."

Druig only rolled his eyes and pushed himself off of the floor, towering over you once more.

"Very funny, Y/n." Druig said, checking his watch. "Does your little detective game mean you're ready to leave?"