72. (MCU) Bucky Barnes - Worth the Risk

https://itsapeterthing.tumblr.com/

pairing: bucky barnes x avenger!readersummary: when bucky and sam get captured you have to go in alone to save them leading to a worried, overprotective bucky who cares about you a bit more than a teammate shouldword count: 2.2kwarnings: description of violence, injuries, a gun, dagger and blood, swearing, angst w/ happy ending

----

"Bucky?" You whispered through the earpiece. "Sam? Where are you guys-"

Sitting in the van, you began to grow worried as you couldn't find any of your teammates on the screen after they had turned around a corner. Tapping the earpiece, you were about to speak again when you heard Sam's voice on the other end.

"Y/n?"

Sitting forward in your chair, you breathed a premature sigh of relief.

"Sam? Thank God you guys are okay." You told him. "I was worried when-"

"Y/n, listen," Sam cut you off, his voice a near whisper. "They got us- me and Bucky- but I think you'll be able to take them out if you think you're ready for it."

You began to feel your heart race in your chest just at the proposition. Although you had joined the group almost half a year ago, you had never gone on a mission by yourself- always having others to back you up, but you knew Sam well enough that he wouldn't have suggested the idea lightly. If he asked you to go in alone... you knew it was because there was no other choice.

"Okay." You said. "I can do this, Cap. I'll be there soon- just hold on."

With that, you left the vehicle, making your way into the building. When the door of the facility closed behind you, you raised your gun.

"You shouldn't have told her to come in here." Bucky told Sam, pacing around their cell. "If we couldn't handle it together, what makes you think that she can do it by herself? You're going to get her killed-"

"Buck," Sam said firmly. "I know you're worried about her, but she can handle herself. She's our only shot of getting out of here so I'm gonna need you to calm down."

Sitting himself down in the corner of the room, Bucky said nothing more to Sam, instead placing his head in his hands.

Bucky knew logistically that you could handle yourself- you were on the team for a reason- but that didn't mean he didn't worry about you. He worried about you all the time- even in training- nagging Sam if he threw you down a bit too hard and feeling his heart drop to his stomach when bruises littered your body after a mission. He hated seeing you get hurt, but as he sat in the cell with Sam, knowing that you were coming into the building all on your own- he felt as though he was going to be sick.

Now he wasn't there to watch your back. He wasn't there to make sure you wouldn't get hurt. He wasn't there to make sure you didn't get yourself killed- the thought of it too horrible for him to even allow himself to think about. He worried because he knew in your line of business, every wrong move could be fatal and he couldn't bare the thought of not having you by his side every day.

Listening to the sound of water leaking from the sealing above him, Bucky prayed you would be alright.

Turning a corner inside of the building, you were hoping the same.

Peaking around the edge of a wall you spotted two men, armed with batons. Taking a deep breath, you aimed for one of the men's bullet proof vest, taking the shot and knocking him to the ground. Immediately the other man ran towards you with the baton raised in his hand.

Ducking as he swung the baton, you threw a punch to the man's stomach, knocking him backwards, but just as you did the other man hit you in your back with the baton.