67. (MCU) Peter Parker - Distance Between Us

https://itsapeterthing.tumblr.com/

word count: 2.7k

warnings: accusations of cheating

-----

"I feel terrible about it, Ned." Peter confessed to his friend, his chin in his hand as he watched you sit on the other side of the library. "This sucks."

"You could always tell her about it." Ned suggested. "I don't think it'd be as bad-"

"Are you kidding me?" Peter cut off his friend. "I- I can't tell her about it! If I tell her she might break up with me or something."

"Peter," Ned said, nudging his head in your direction. "If you keep avoiding her then she'll definitely break up with you. Just tell her, man."

Deep down Peter knew that Ned was right.

Being a superhero was far from easy, not only in trying to keep yourself alive to fight another day against the universe's deadliest adversaries, but also in the way it affected life outside of heroic duties- including Peter's love life.

About a month ago, while fighting a particularly difficult opponent, they had told Peter that they knew his identity, even going as far to say that if Peter were to find himself messing with their affairs again, that they wouldn't hesitate to come after the people Peter cared about most- including his girlfriend.

This was shocking to Peter because even you didn't know he was Spider-Man. He had kept it from you in hopes that it would lighten your load and make your life easier, but all it did was leave you defenseless. Rather than immediately confessing his identity to you after that interaction, however, Peter decided that the best decision would be to separate himself from you in hopes that maybe it would keep his opponent off your trail.

Peter lost too many people already. If saving you meant not being around you as much as he'd like to be then so be it.

Despite the best of Peter's intentions, though, your boyfriend pulling away and becoming distant only left you feeling hurt, confused and alone.

"Hey," Betty greeted you, pulling up a chair at your table.

Finally tearing your eyes from your boyfriend who sat on the other side of the room with his friend, you looked up at Betty with a sad smile.

"Hey Bett-"

"Not to be nosy or anything," Betty began, setting her laptop on the table before nudging her head to where Peter and Ned sat. "But what's up with you and Peter?"

Although you had noticed the shift in your relationship, there were times when you thought you may have been imagining the whole thing so it was both a relief and an unwelcome reminder that you weren't the only one who felt Peter begin to stray.

"What do you mean?" You asked, playing dumb.

Glancing between Peter and you, she shrugged.

"I don't know, I just don't see you two together anymore." Betty confessed. "Not that I watch you guys or anything because that would be totally weird, but even when I asked Ned about it he said that nothing was wrong and we both know Ned's an awful liar."

Suddenly you felt sick knowing that Ned knew more about what was going on in your relationship than you did.

This time when you glanced at where the two boys were sat, your eyes met Peter's. When you threw him a soft smile, hoping to receive some semblance of an understanding in return, you felt your heart sink to your stomach when he only adverted his gaze and continued on his conversation with Ned.