34. (TWD) Daryl Dixon - Lingering Words

stickyjamxo.tumblr.com

Pairing: Daryl Dixon x Reader

Plot: Daryl regrets pushing you away when you begin to get a little too close to Rick. Will he change his mind and let you in?

Warnings: None.

Era: Prison Era, Start of Season 4.

------

You gave Zack a friendly wave and a smile as you saw him helping Daryl load up the car.

"I'll be back soon!" He called out as you turned your head towards him.

"I know you will." You smiled before walking back into your cell block to help with the cleaning, Beth was already inside minding Judith.

"Did you say bye to Zack?" You asked your sister.

"I don't say goodbye Y/n." She replied as your nodded your head. You couldn't help but think that Beth was too cautious nowadays. She never allowed herself to develop any attachments to anyone, except her family. You started gathering clothes to wash when Daryl came into the cell block.

"Just headin out." He said as you hummed in response, waiting for the door to close but it didn't. You turned to see him standing at the doorway looking at you, almost like he was waiting for something.

"What?" You asked, getting frustrated. A sadness creeping up inside you as you thought of how things could have been, or should have been. Beth gave him a hopeful smile.

He shrugged his shoulders, with a hint of sadness as he walked out of the cell block into the yard leaving you with your sister and your work.

"You don't need to be so cold to him Y/n." Beth spoke quietly.

"What happened to not getting attached?" You asked your sister who remained silent and turned back to Judith. You brought the clothes to wash, off to Carol as you saw a truck leaving through the front gates. You thought about waving but decided not to.

You had always wanted to go on a run but your father thought it was safer for you to be here. You noticed Rick and Carl hovering around the crops and pigs so you made your way over to them.

"Howdy, sheriff and deputy!" You called out, tipping an imaginary hat in their direction, Carl turned to you laughing and Rick gave you a look, while rolling his eyes playfully.

"Whatcha doin?" You asked raising your brow at the father and son.

"Violet looks off." Carl started before Rick spoke.

"Don't name them Carl." Rick said before looking down.

"I think Violet is a good name," You said giving Carl a smile. "I'll take a look at her now." Carl nodded happily.

You had trained as a vet with your father for a year before everything started plus you had experience with animals after living on the farm, so Carl was more than happy for your offer of help. You hopped over the fence as Rick went to give you a hand to steady you. You rolled your eyes back at him playfully while he chuckled.

You decided to have your father take a look at Violet for a second opinion but you believed it seemed like a flu of some sorts, but again you only had one year of experience. Once Carl went off back into the prison you pulled Rick aside.

"How you getting on?" You asked softly, placing your hand on his muscular arm.

"Gettin there." He sighed as he massaged his temples.

"How's Carl?"

"Better." Rick nodded. "He forgets he's only a kid sometimes." The man sighed as you gave him a hug.