92. (MCU) Bucky Barnes - Distraction

https://itsapeterthing.tumblr.com/

pairing: bucky barnes x avenger!readerrequest: "bucky x reader where reader is really attracted to bucky's fighting side while he's defeating the bad guys?"word count: 2.5kwarnings: mentions of guns, getting shot, fighting, not really angsty, fluff

-----

"This feels like a bad idea." You called to the two men as you followed them into the abandoned factory.

"Trust me, Y/n. It's going to be fine." Sam assured you. "And when have I ever been wrong?"

As soon as the sentence escaped his mouth, both you and Bucky stopped in your tracks, turning to face Sam while quirking your eyebrows.

"Would you like a list?" You asked.

"I can think of a few-"

"You know what? Forget it. You two suck. It's not important." Sam said, cutting Bucky off, continuing his pace into the building. "What is important is that we catch these guys before they can do anything else, okay?"

Not inclined to argue, you continued to follow Sam's lead with Bucky by your side. As you climbed up a rotted staircase, you couldn't help but turn to stare at the super soldier by your side, gun ready in his hands.

"Nervous?" He asked, not even turning to face you, but seeing the smirk playing on his lips, you knew he caught you staring out of the corner of his eye.

Embarrassed, you quickly turned away and faced the path in front of you.

"W-what? No." You cleared your throat, attempting to mask how flustered he made you.

In the short time that you had known James "Bucky" Barnes, you had learned that he was expertly skilled in making you a flustered mess. The fact that he asked you if you were nervous was almost comical considering the most nervous you ever were was when you were with him- not because he was the winter soldier or because he had a vibranium arm or because he could end you in a second- but because he made your heart fill a little more every time he looked at you and you would melt every time you shared more than two words.

"Good. You shouldn't." He told you, finally turning to face you. When you felt his hand land on your arm, you met his eyes.

"Yeah?" You asked. "Why shouldn't I? Fighting super soldiers isn't really my area of expertise."

He knew you were right.

Although you had spent nearly five years alongside the likes of Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff during the blip, you weren't nearly as experienced in truly fighting as the rest of them and you were especially amateur at hand-to-hand combat compared to the man in front of you.

You discovered during the blip that you had powers similar to those of Wanda Maximoff. When you did, you sought the help of the remaining Avengers. Though you trained among the best, you were never truly taken to physical combat, instead expanding your knowledge on your power- magic- to use to your advantage.

Although Bucky Barnes was utterly fascinated by your abilities- unbeknownst to you- you still grew nervous in situations such as the one you were in now where someone could easily attack you before you had the chance to act.

"Sam already told you that they don't have the serum." He reminded you.

"Oh yeah, because Sam's always right." You laughed. "What happens if he's wrong?"

He shrugged. "Then I'll handle it."

Before you could even say anything back, you watched as he quickly went still before shoving you against the wall.