Part 9

"What do you mean my friend is lying?! Why would she be lying?" I looked at the doctor in total panic. Why would Ellie be lying? She knows she can tell me anything. She had never lied to me before. There were no secrets between us, at least that I knew of.

"Miss Williamson, please calm down."

"How can I calm down when you are telling me that my best friend, my sister is lying, not only to me but to you as well! How can I calm down?! How do you even know she's lying?"

"Look I know this isn't easy to hear but I need you to calm down so I can explain." She repeated herself in a soothing tone in hopes it would ease my mind.

I couldn't get a word out. I just nodded my head, indicating that I agreed.

"Besides an X-ray, I also ordered a CT scan. I wanted to make sure that she only had one broken rib and that there was no internal damage caused by that said fracture." The doctor calmly explained to me but to no avail.

"What? She's fine right?!" I panicked. What if she has internal damage? Isn't that what they die from in the movies?!

"She's fine, she has in fact only broken one rib and there's no signs of any internal bleeding. However, the thing with a CT scan is that not only can you see new fractures but you can also see the previous ones that are almost healed, but not completely."

"Okay, so what does that mean?" I asked her confused, having absolutely no clue where she was going with this.

"I mean that this isn't the first time that she has had a broken rib. There are signs that show us that this has happened before. More than once.  I've even checked her previous records and over the last year she has been here multiple times for minor injuries, mostly small fractures or sprains but also small wounds or lacerations."

"Last year?" I asked her, confused.

"Yes, does that mean anything to you?" The doctor looked at me, waiting for a response.

"Do you think someone is physically abusing her?" I asked her in a whisper.

"I'm not saying that she is, because I don't know that with certainty. I'm only saying that you should keep an eye on her."

"I will." Was all I said.

"Here's my card, if anything happens give me a call." She handed me a cart with a number on it.

"Thank you, I really appreciate it."

"You're welcome, Anything for a fellow American." She smiled at me.

I was about the reply when suddenly Ellie walked through the door, yelling at me to hurry up. I thanked the doctor one last time and then made my way to my impatient best friend. She swung her arm around me and we exited the hospital.

During the car ride, I kept a close eye on Ellie, trying to figure her out. Could she really be lying? We grew up together, I can't help but think that I would know if she'd be lying or maybe that's my mind forcing me to not see the horrible truth. The truth, that she is in fact in an abusive relationship.

The things doctor Grey has told me are still resonating in my mind. I can't deny that I haven't had my suspicions about Jacob. I never liked the guy. After some time dating him, Ellie started to change. They were small changes, but nevertheless they were there. And that all started after she started dating Jacob so maybe, just maybe there was something true about her words.

She and Daan were both upfront and I was in the backseat. They were joking around and singing along to the radio until she received a text. Her whole demeanor suddenly changed. She went from being happy and outgoing to quiet and maybe a little sad even. It made me wonder who the text was from and what it said.