part 46

Today was the day. The day we could become the champions of the WSL. We were all in the locker room after our warm ups getting ready to get out there. I checked my phone for a final time and saw I had a message from Alexia wishing me luck for my last game and to kick ass. I quickly replied to her with a short thank you. I was in the process of putting my phone away when Kim walked up to me with the captain's band in her hands.

"I think you're forgetting something." She smirked at my confusion.

"What?" I furrowed my eyebrows at the Scottish girl.

"It's your last game for the team and you never got to be the captain. Seems only fitting that you wear the band today and before you say anything, everyone here agrees." She grabbed my arm and slipped the band on.

"There, perfect." She gave me a smile. I stood up and hugged my former captain.

"Thanks Kimmie."

"You can thank me by scoring a goal and lifting that cup."

After everyone was ready we lined up in the tunnel, waiting to walk out. Steph stood besides me and gave me a wink. 

The ref started walking and I led my team out on the pitch but before the game started Alex walked out with a microphone.

"Ladies and gentlemen, before we start this game I would like to steal a few minutes of your time because as you all know one of the greatest to ever wear an Arsenal shirt is playing her last game for her club today. We and her teammates thought that that could not go by unnoticed. So here we are. Ellie, can you please come up here?"

I shook my head laughing at my teammates hauling at me. I should have known they were gonna do something. Alex pulled me into a side hug when I reached her.

"I'm gonna keep it short because I know you don't like being the center of attention so I just want to say a few things in the names of the players, staff and fans. We just really wanna thank you for everything you did for this club. In the time you were here, with your cheeky smile, your kind heart, your great sense of humor and your unraveled football skill, you managed to capture the hearts of not only your teammates and the staff but also many fans here in the stadium. Judging by the looks on the Man City girls you even wormed your way into their hearts." Alex said, laughing and pulling me a little closer to her.

I laughed at what she said and looked around. I looked at my teammates and the other girls on the field, I looked at fans and they were all standing on their feet smiling, laughing and yelling in joy. I tried to soak it all up for the last time.

"You were an absolute joy to have around. You gave it your all each time and never asked for anything in return. Even though you're only twenty, soon twenty one you truly became an Arsenal legend. To remind you of that, we have a gift and who better to give you that gift than your biggest fan himself."

She turned around and faced the tunnels. In surprise I turned around as well. Out of the tunnel came my little brother accompanied by my family with his Arsenal jersey with the number 7 and Queen on the back out of the tunnel. In his hands he was carrying a framed shirt with the number 103 on it. He walked over to me, barely being able to carry the frame. 

"This is for you." He said in the cutest voice. I grabbed the frame from him and placed it down against my leg so I was able to hug him.

"Thanks monkey." He kissed my cheek. I put him back on the ground and inspected the framed jersey I had just received. On it were all the signatures from all of my teammates with little messages on them. When I was admiring the jersey Alex came back standing right next to me.

"We're not done just yet, we have one more surprise." She said, making my head snap up to look at her. Alex simply pointed towards the tunnel again and I couldn't believe my eyes. There stood the Press family and Kristie Mewis.