Part 12

I was still dwelling on what Jacob had said to me when suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Sorry I didn't mean to startle you. Are you okay? You've been gone for a while?" Kristie asked me when I calmed myself down. Time to win that Oscar.

"Yeah of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

"I don't know. You seem off. Like I said you've been sitting here for quite a while now."

"I just miss him, you know. But it's fine. I can deal with being away from him for a couple of weeks." I told her, smiling. I must say even I would believe myself. I was really getting the hang of this lying thing. Okay, maybe I shouldn't be too proud of that.

"Are you sure?" Kristie reluctantly looks over at me.

"Yeah, I'm sure. Come on before Kell does something stupid and we've missed it." I joked with her.

When night approached I was getting more and more anxious by the minute. I was sharing my room with Kristie. When either of us crashed at the other one's place we would share a bed, I mean we've been friends for so long. Now with Jacob I had to come up with yet another lie as to why I wouldn't want to share a bed with her cause if he would find out, we both would be in serious trouble.

"I'm calling it a night." Alex stood up with Allie following, both kissing me on my head. 

"Yeah, us two. Night everyone." Kell and my sister said, doing the same as Alex and Allie. 

Murmurs of goodnight were heard and everyone made their way upstairs, me and Kristie included.

"You can have the bed." I said when I walked inside my room.

"What are you talking about, you can have the bed?" She asked while trying to imitate my voice.

"Okay, first of all that sounded nothing like me and second, you can have the bed, I will take the couch."

"Since when do you take the couch? We always share a bed together when we crash at each other's places?" She looked at me confused.

"You're making it sound like we're dating." I chuckled.

"Than stop saying stupid things." She threw her hands up in frustration this time. "What's going on Ellie, you're acting weird."

"Nothing's going on! Just take the damn bed!" I snapped. She looked at me in shock, not expecting me to yell like that. I needed to get out, so I did what I do best. Run. Obviously not that far but to the next best thing, the bathroom. I did my night routine and went back to my room. Kristie did the same when I came out.

I made myself comfortable on the couch and waited for her to come back.

"Goodnight." I said barely above whisper.

"Goodnight." And with that she turned off the light.

The time I got to spend with my family had flown by and now it was time to go to camp. Kristie decided that she was going to stay here in Cali so she could hang more with us during our free time and so she could catch one of our games.

During these two days that we hung out, she kept a close eye on me. Just like the Arsenal girls, she too didn't quite believe my lies anymore. The fact that I became pretty distant and isolated didn't help either but I had to keep Jacob happy.

Kristie's pov (1 day ago):

To say that Ellie was acting weird was an understatement. She was jumpy, unfocused, constantly zoned out and distant. Something's going on, I'm sure of it.

Currently we were all joined at the breakfast table, debating on what we were going to do today. After some discussion we decided to go to the beach. Tobin, who had spent some time with Christen and Kelley wanted to go surfing and I was convinced that Ellie for sure wanted to go too except she didn't.