Part 18

Leah's pov:

"Leah, it's Ellie. She's been in a car crash. The doctors say it's bad. You need to get to the hospital right now!" My mom started rambling in panic. It was like my mind needed time to process what my mom just had said. I knew something bad had happened to her but somehow I was in denial. I didn't want to believe what had just happened.

The moment I met Ellie, we clicked. It was like I had known her for years. I never believed in soulmates and all that shit, but she showed me that a platonic soulmate exists and she's mine. I can't lose her.

"Leah?! Leah, are you still there?" I heard my mom through the phone but I couldn't respond, I couldn't talk, it was like I couldn't breathe. After I zoned out I felt someone take my phone and talk to my mom. Before I knew it I was in the car on my way to the hospital. To be honest it was all a blur. It was like my mind couldn't process anything that was happening.

Once we arrived at the hospital, we rushed to the front desk, asking about Ellie. The lady directed us towards the right floor and that's where we were now. Waiting, there was nothing other to do than wait for news.

"Family of Miss Queen?" In seconds, my friends and I stood before the doctor, hoping she had good news.

"Yes, that's us. Were her teammates.  Her family is in America." Daan said.

"I'm sorry, but unless you're family I can't disclose any information with you."

"What?! What do you mean unless we're family?! I need to know that my best friend is okay. I need to know that the person that I grew up with, that I see as a little sister is okay! What gives you the right to decide whether we're family or not!" I snapped. I couldn't take it anymore. The wait, the uncertainty. When I had my outburst my friends had to hold me back and were saying soothing words in my ear in hopes to calm me down.

"It's okay, Doctor Miller. I got it from here." I suddenly heard a familiar voice behind me say. When I turned around I saw the doctor that helped us the last time walk up to us. I think her name was Grey. When she reached us, the other doctor, doctor Miller, gave her a look. A look that told her not to cross a line, but he walked away nonetheless.

"Follow me," the older woman simply said. She guided us to a much less crowded place when she turned around with a somber look upon her face.

"She's in surgery right now as we speak. Doctor Shepherd and I are leading the surgery. We'll do everything to make sure she's okay."

"With no disrespect but if you're leading the surgery, then why are you standing here?" Daan looked at the doctor confused. The doctor took a breath, clearly debating what to say.

"Look, I'm not gonna lie. It's not looking good. Right now doctor Shepherd is relieving the pressure on her brain. She sustained significant trauma to her upper body and head. She broke her wrist, thigh and multiple ribs, who have punctured her lungs and some major organs. She was bleeding internally and had ruptured her spleen and liver. We're doing our best to patch that all up but what worries us the most are her head and back." She carefully explained to us.

"What do you mean?" I finally spoke up.

"Due to the impact of the crash she ended up with a small fracture in her spine and skull and a severe brain injury. We won't know the extent of these injuries until she wakes up." She looked at us sadly.

"Will she? Will she wake up?" Beth asked with tears in her eyes, Daan putting her arm around the blonde.

"We don't know. But we're hopeful. If the surgery succeeds and she gets through the first 24 hours she has a chance." I simply nodded, trying to keep my emotions in check.

"But Leah, if she does pull through, it's not gonna be easy. Prepare yourselves." And with that the doctor turned around, probably going back to save my best friend's life while I stay here being absolutely useless.

Several hours later, we were still waiting on news about Ellie's surgery. In the meantime, my mom had finally arrived and Ellie's family and American friends were notified about her condition. Some of the Arsenal players like Viv, Lisa, Katie, Rue and Heather had also arrived at the hospital and were waiting with us.

I was about to fall asleep in the uncomfortable chair when Jordan nudged me. When I looked up I saw doctor Grey and another doctor walking right towards us. We all got up and met the doctor halfway.

"The surgery was a success. We were able to stop the bleeding, patch up her wound and save her liver and spleen. We repaired the fractures in her thigh and wrist and stopped the bleeds in her brain. We had to put her in a medically induced coma though so her body gets time to heal properly." Doctor Grey explained to us.

"Oh my God!" My mom sighed out falling in the arms of my dad. Clearly relieved with the news.

"So what now?" Viv asked the doctors.

"Now we wait. The next 24 hours are going to be crucial. We'll continue to monitor her closely and hope for the best. It's a waiting game now. When or if she wakes up we will know the extent of her injuries."

"Meaning if there is permanent damage?" Daan spoke up. This time it was the other doctor who stepped forward.

"Miss Queen sustained a severe brain injury which caused multiple brain bleeds. We were relatively fast at stopping them but there is no way of knowing what the damage will be."

"Will she wake up?" Katie looked at both doctors with tears in her eyes.

"There is no certainty but we're hopeful. She's strong."

"Thanks doctor." My mom thanked the doctors.

"There is only one more thing I liked to discuss with you but maybe we should do that in private." My mom and I stepped away with the two doctors.

"There is no easy way of saying this but the injuries Eleanore sustained weren't compatible with those of a car crash. They definitely made her injuries worse but I'm fairly certain that she already had most of them before she got in the car." Doctor Grey carefully explained to us.

"What do you mean? You mean someone did this to her?" My dad asked, surprised. The doctor just nodded.

It took a minute for my mom to process everything but once she did she broke down. My dad took her in his arms in an attempt to calm her down even though he was feeling the exact same way. Me on the other hand, I was feeling many emotions. Sad, helpless, anger but most of all guilt because for my family the news may have come as a surprise but for me it wasn't. I knew that this was coming. I knew and I didn't do anything to stop it.