Part 36

"I'm here for Stacy Press. Can you tell me her room number?"

The receptionist gave me a sympathetic look that told me enough and started typing on her computer.

"Second floor. Number 237."

"Thanks."

I ran to the elevator and pressed the button multiple times. Like it would make it go any faster. When it took too long for my liking I decided to take the stairs instead and ran all the way up to the second floor.

When I had finally reached the right floor, I saw my mom and siblings standing in the hallway. My brothers had flown out here too with their girlfriends Lieke and Jackie the moment they heard the news. Their looks immediately gave away how bad the situation actually was.

"Hey, I got here as fast as I could. How's she doing?"

I pulled my mom into a hug trying to give her as much comfort as I could. Stacy was her best friend. I could not even begin to imagine what she must be going through right now.

For a while she didn't respond, she just tightened her arms around me trying to compose herself. When she was ready, she pulled away, her eyes red from crying.

"She had a brain aneurysm. She's on life support." My mom tried to fight back the tears but it wasn't working. My dad took her from me and held her in his arms.

"They're waiting on you." He said. I furrowed my eyebrows, not fully understanding what he meant. "Everyone already said goodbye. The Press family is in her room and they're waiting for you to say goodbye too. They didn't want to pull the plug until you had said your goodbyes."

I simply nodded and followed my brother Tom to the room. Once we reached her door, he pulled me in a hug and wished me luck. I took a deep breath gathering all my strength to raise my hand to knock on the door. 

It was Tyler who opened it and launched herself into my arms.

"You're here." She mumbled.

"Of course I'm here. I came as fast as I could."

I stood there, hugging the oldest Press sibling trying to comfort her to the best of my abilities until I let go to greet the others. Chris was the last one.

"I'm glad you came." She said, tearing up.

"Of course I came. You're family." I kissed the side of her head.

"We'll leave you to stay goodbye. We'll be outside if you need us."

It was Cody who said it, squeezing my shoulder on his way out and before I knew it I'm met with complete silence. The only thing to be heard is the steady beeping of the machine in the room monitoring her heartbeat and the hum of the machine that was keeping her alive.

I walked closer to the bed where Stacy was laying and sat down in the chair, where seconds before Christen was sitting.

"Uhm so I don't really know what to say except how could this happen? You don't deserve this. Your family doesn't deserve this."

I took a minute to compose myself. Looking up, taking a breath. I got my chair a little closer to the bed, grabbing her hand.

"You were always there for me. Picked me up for school, drove me to where I needed to be if my parents had to work. You became like my second mom. I know that you hated the fact that I left for England to fulfill my dream and yet you supported it. You never complained."

I shook my head at the thought. It was true, I knew she struggled with the fact that I was so young and moved all the way to the otherside of the world to fulfill my dream of becoming a professional soccer player. Come to think of it, it was kind of crazy too but never did she criticize my decision. If anything, she always showed her support. Whether it was picking me up from airports or just coming over to visit me and watch a game live here in England.