Part 33

"Are we there yet?"

I asked for probably the millionth time, annoying my dad to no extent. We were on our way to the adoption agency. Turns out that my parents had already filled out all the paperwork, they just needed to sign to make it official.

Before they did that, they wanted my opinion about the matter too. They wanted to see if I was okay with it. Now all that there was left to do was sign and take the little boy home.

"I swear if you ask me one more time, I'll stop here and you can walk all the way there."

"Geez you're in a bad mood." I mumbled.

My mom just signed out. "Nothing has changed over the years." She put her head in her hands.

When we arrived I couldn't control my nerves anymore. At first I was just excited, now I'm just terrified. What if the little boy doesn't like me? What if he hates me?

I snapped out of my thoughts when a lady walked up to us. We all introduced ourselves, well mainly me and the lady because I was the only one that hadn't been here before and my parents were guided towards an office.

Instead of going with them I decided that I was going to sit down in the waiting area. The paperwork was going to be boring anyway. I sat down on one of the lounge chairs and grabbed a magazine to keep me entertained.

It must have been like 15 minutes later when I suddenly felt eyes on me. A little further in the room was a little boy hiding behind a plant, watching me. The boy must have been like 4 or so.

"You know, if you take a picture it will last longer."

The little boy made himself smaller, trying to hide himself even more behind the plant but it was no use.

"You know I can see you right? It's okay, you can come talk to me, I won't bite."

The little boy came out of his hiding place and carefully made his way towards me.

"Hey there. What's your name?"

"Austin." The little boy shyly replied.

"Hey Austin, my name's Eleanore."

"I know."

"You do?" I asked him confused. How can he know my name? I had just met him.

"Of course I do. You're the best soccer player in the world. You're an attacking midfielder. You play for Arsenal and for the women's national team. I know who you are." He started rambling. His shy demeanor completely gone.

"Seems like you're a fan."

"I am but you can't tell anyone you saw me. I'm not allowed to be here."

"How's that?"

"I was supposed to stay upstairs and wait there but I got bored and decided to explore."

"Nice, good choice. I won't tell a soul. Promise."

"Okay then we can be friends."

"Well alright then friend. How come you're so into soccer? You're pretty young." I asked him curious but my question seemed to trigger something because his smile faded.

"My mom was a huge fan of women's soccer. She watched a lot of games. Mostly European ones."

"She got good taste." I winked at him but I could feel the sadness so I decided to change the topic a bit. "So, favorite team?"

"Arsenal because you play there and you're my favorite player but also Barcelona. Alexia Putellas comes pretty close to being the best."

"Agreed."