Part 47

"Who's idea was it to book such an early flight? I say we veto them out of our group." I groaned.

It was 4 o'clock in the morning and we were in a minivan on our way to the airport. Viv, Lisa, Daan, Beth, Katie, Ruesha, Leah, Jordan, Jen and I had planned a vacation to Ibiza. Now the season was over and with the world cup coming soon we had earned a well deserved break before all the madness would begin.

"Yours." Everyone said in unions. I crossed my arms over my chest and let out a huf.

"Who's idea was it to leave the youngest in charge of the booking?"

"Still yours." Leah simply stated.

"And I quote we can't take the flight with the normal hour of departure because it's the champions league final and Alexia is playing, so I need to watch it." Daan added to Leah's statement.

"She's a good friend." I shrugged not even denying it anymore because let's be honest it was the truth but now I was paying the price. The next flight we could take was two days later and was in the middle of the night. 

"A friend my ass." Beth mumbled but I heard what she had said. I glared at her. "I would do it for either one of you." I pointed at everyone in the van.

"Sure you do." Viv patted my shoulder.

I just huffed and glared at my friends, still not over the fact that it was so early and I was getting hungry.

"Speaking of your girlfriend" Jenn started but I cut her off. "Not my girlfriend!"

"Whatever, how is she? You know after the loss?"

Flashback

They lost. Barcelona lost to Lyon. 4 to 1, there was nothing they could do. Lyon was simply too strong for them. There was no denying that but it was the images afterwards of the grieving Barca players that broke my heart, especially Alexia.

I had texted her to tell her that she did well but I knew that would not ease the pain but what do you say? What do you tell someone, who just came so close to realizing their dream and then have it ripped away from them.

It was later on in the night, I was already in my bed reading a book, when my phone went off. It was a FaceTime request from Alexia.

"Hey there, how are you holding up?" I wasn't really paying attention to the screen, instead I was putting my book away.

The silence, well more the sniffling I heard on the other end made me instantly focused on my phone. It was only then that I realized that the only face that was showing was mine. Alexia's camera was turned off, no doubtfully trying to hide the fact that she was crying but the sniffling gave it away.

"Oh Ale, it's not your fault." I knew that she was blaming herself for the loss. I knew because I would have done the same thing if it were me.

"I know there is nothing I can say to make you feel better or that makes it hurt any less but you played really well. You did a good job, they were just a bit stronger. There was nothing you could do. The only thing you can do is wear that medal with pride and use it to fuel your motivation to do better next time because there will be a next time. You will reach the final again and I know there is gonna be a day where you're gonna lift that trophy." I tried to console the girl but was still met with silence.

"Can you please turn on your camera so I can at least see that you're okay?"

For the first time since the call I heard her voice. It was barely a whisper.