Part 55

Flashback / present

"Ellie!" Chad yelled at me when he passed me the ball. 

We were playing one of our biggest rivals and we were down one goal. I controlled the ball and swiftly turned around to face the goal. As fast as my ten year old self could I made my way down the field but I didn't get far before someone took me down hard. 

"Would you look at that? Little Miss Ellie down to the ground again. Did you really think you could outrun me?" Ben, one of the star players of the other team, smirked. In return I just glared at him. 

"Do everyone a favor and stay down. You'll never be good enough." 

I sat down in my cubicle trying to focus on the last pointers Jill was giving us before our warm ups but instead of really focussing I was just staring straight ahead, the same words on a loop inside of my mind.

"You'll never be good enough."

"Alright, that's it. Let's warm up." Jill clapped her hands together. "Pinoe take everyone with you."

Without a word I stood up and followed the team out. We started our warm ups but it became very clear, very fast that my warm up wasn't going as smoothly as I would have liked.

When we were finished, I instantly went back inside, frustration clear on my face.

"Hey, ref!" One of my teammates yelled when I got taken down for the tenth time in just fifteen minutes.

"What's wrong? Can't take a little heat? This is exactly why girls shouldn't be allowed to play." Ben leaned down and spatted in my face.

Again instead of answering, I glared at him but of course that didn't faze him whatsoever.

"Just give up already. We both know that's the only thing you're good at."

I growled while I threw my shirt inside my bag, grabbing my game shirt. Without saying another word I threw it on and furiously sat down, avoiding eye contact with everyone.

"Just give up."

When Jill finished her speech, I didn't wait around for any of my teammates to talk to me. I rushed out and walked down the tunnel to go to the field, wanting to do some shooting drills, hoping that at least now I would be able to hit some on target.

"You'll never be good enough."

Before I reached the field someone grabbed my wrist and spun me around. It was Carli.

"I came here for a gold medal, not a silver one and I need you to be a full 100 procent for that to happen." She told me softly but firmly, staring right at me.

"Carli, I'm fi-" She shook her head and cut me off.

"Don't give me that bullshit. Take a breathe, relax and remember who the fuck you are. You're Eleanore fucking Queen, you are the best player at this tournament so stop beining in your head because you don't have to. Go out there, play some of the best football that only you can play and after we're getting a picture together with that trophy. Understood?" She told me with a certain determination in her voice, successfully calming me down.

I nodded at her and before I knew it I was surrounded by all my teammates and the Dutch team, waiting to walk out.

"Ella gets the ball, she shoots, she scores! Ella Queen takes the United States to the final of the world cup!"

I stopped running and weirdly looked at Cory.

"That's never gonna happen." I snorted and went to retrieve the ball.