Part 20

I've been in the hospital for a couple of weeks now. After I had woken up, I had to undergo some tests to see if there was permanent damage done to my brain. Luckily for me all those tests came back negative. However I was obligated to stay in the hospital for several weeks so they could monitor my health and progress which doctor Shepherd was happy with.

My friends and family had worked out a schedule to come and visit me everyday. It was getting dark outside and this was the first time that I was alone since I had woken up from my coma. Even though the TV was on my mind was elsewhere.

You see when I woke up from the coma I couldn't really remember what had happened to me aside from the crash. Memory loss is quite common with a brain injury but lately I started having flashbacks. Flashes of that night came back to me and I wished it didn't. I now fully and clearly remember everything that happened that night and it was playing on a loop in my mind.

"Why didn't you come to me?" I suddenly heard Leah Williamson say.

I snapped out of my thoughts and looked at the defender at the door. "Come to you with what?" I tried to play it cool. I knew it was coming but I wasn't quite ready to address the elephant in the room.

"Stop playing games, Eleanore. It was one thing keeping it from everyone but it's another when you almost died because of it!" She snapped at me, immediately regretting the tone she'd used. "I know what he did, so don't even try to deny it. Why didn't you tell us? We could've helped you." She said this time her voice barely above a whisper.

"What did you want me to say Leah? Oh hey, my boyfriend who you all hate is beating the shit out of me and I don't know how to stop it and Oh to make matters worse I'm still in love with him. Is that what you wanted me to say? Because I can guarantee you it's not that easy to come to terms with!"

"Yeah well I get that but I'm your best friend. You could've told me." She tried again.

"It's not that simple Leah! I didn't even have an idea of the mess I was in until it was too late. After that he knew how to control me and he took advantage of that."

"Doctor Grey told me, you don't want to press charges? Why? That son of a bitch deserves it."

"I just want to forget Leah. He hasn't contacted me since and he probably won't so let's all just move on."

"He almost killed you! How can you not press charges?!" Leah snapped again, unable to control her emotions.

"You think I don't know that?! I just want to move on and so should you." I told her firmly.

"I should've done something. I had my suspicions but I chose to be quiet. I let it happen. I'm so sorry." The defender was now crying. I could see the guilt in her eyes. It broke my heart that she felt this way. She didn't do this to me, he did. It wasn't her fault.

"Hey hey don't cry. Come here." I mentioned Leah to come to me. I scooted over to make place for her to lay down at. She carefully crawled onto the bed and led her head on my chest.

"This is not your fault. You didn't do this, he did. I just fell in love with the wrong boy." I simply stated. I wrapped my arms around her.

"Till the end of the line?" I whispered.

"Always." She snuggled closer into my body and that's how we both fell asleep.

It's been 3 months since the accident and instead of going back home I chose to stay here in the UK to focus on my recovery. My recovery was going great. My body was handling my rehab quite well and was healing fast. Mentally however it was a lot harder.

Ever since I remembered everything again I had trouble sleeping and suffered from panic attacks. A couple of days after I had woken up from the coma, doctor Grey had advised me to press charges, but I refused. I simply didn't want to talk about it, definitely now that he hasn't contacted me since the accident.

Anyway, let's not think about that for too long. The season with Arsenal ended with us in 3rd place. For obvious reasons I missed the last games with them but I went to cheer for them in every game much to Leah's dismay. She was convinced I should've rested more.

Now we were in our off season with international friendlies and the tournament of nations coming up. I got invited by Jill to tag along, not to play of course but she thought it would be a great idea to cheer me up and take my mind off of things. So HAO and I made our way over to the States to join our teammates during those friendlies.

"Queenie! I've missed you!" I got tackled by Rose.

"Look at you walking on your own without crutches." Lindsay walked up to us. I give her a proud smile.

"Yeah, rehab is going great. I'm allowed to walk around again without any restriction so that's fun."

"How's that pretty little head of yours?" Sonnet pulled me into a hug.

"It's good. All my headaches have disappeared and my vision and focus is back to the way it was so. I'm good."

"When are you good to play again?" Carli asked when we were making our way inside the hotel.

"It's hard to say. With the way my rehab is going right now maybe next month I can start with light training and stuff. I already got the all clear from doctor Grey, now I just need that from doctors Shepherd and Torres next month." I explained to the veteran.

"Don't push yourself too hard, okay. Please?" She turned to me, looking me in the eye.

"Don't worry, I won't. You know me." I smiled at her

"Yeah, that's why I'm warning you not to do it." She told me with a serious look on her face.

Couple of hours later, me and Sonnet were chilling in our room. She and I would be roommates for the upcoming games. I was glad to be honest, I really missed the defender while I was in London. I had seen her when I was in the hospital but that wasn't the same.

"So how are you really doing?" She stopped with what she was doing and turned her full attention to me.

"What are you talking about? I'm good. My injuries are healing pretty well and my rehab is going great."

"Cut the crap Queenie. You're allowed to not be okay. Nobody's going to look at you differently." She said with a serious look, making me sign out.

"Physically I'm good. Everything is healed up or healing just fine. My brain and back are fine. Everything's fine. It's just that mentally it's a lot harder. Everything reminds me of that night. Memories constantly playing on a loop like a movie. I just wanna be able to block it all out and forget about it."

"You have to come to terms with what happened, Eleanore."

"Well that's pretty hard if the person you loved almost killed you on purpose isn't it?"

"Look, you don't have to talk about it now if you don't want to. Just know that I'll always be here for you if you need me." She smiled at me.

"I know" was all I said. I knew I had to come to terms with what had happened but as for right I just wanted to forget about it all and pretend that it didn't happen. That works for me just fine.