Part 22

It's been a couple of months since the tournament and I had slept with Sonnet. When we woke up the morning after I was scared that it was gonna be weird between us, that we had ruined our friendship but it was anything but that.

We both took the time to sit together and talk about what had happened and we both agreed that it was fun but it was without feelings and that we were just friends. Best friends. Since that night it happened occasionally that we would sleep together but there were others too.

During the day I've been training non stop, trying to get back on the field. Pushing my body over the limit in hopes I would get back faster, but my speedy recovery wasn't that speedy anymore. I wasn't making the improvements that I wanted. The doctors and physios reassured me that that was normal and that I was ahead of the plan already, but for me that wasn't enough. I wanted to be on the pitch again. I wanted to play.

So during the day I was pushing myself until I couldn't no more and at night I went out to party with whoever wanted to go so I could forget everything.

It was time for yet another small camp. There were more to come each time we would come closer to the actual World Cup. Again like last time I was invited to tag along but that was about it but I'm not complaining. Dawn and I had been working hard on my recovery and even when I was in London we would keep in touch.

We were all in the locker room getting dressed for our training. As much as I liked the fact that I was at least allowed in the gym, it was starting to get boring. I was the last one left in the room, waiting for Dawn.

"What are you wearing?" A sudden voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Uhm workout clothes?" I looked at the person who the voice belonged to.

"No, I mean your shoes." Dawn laughed at me.

"They're called running shoes, Dawn, look it up. They work in the gym too." I told her and she just laughed.

"Why are you laughing like that?" I asked her, confused.

"How's the leg?"

"Good. No pain."

"How's the back?"

"Same as the leg."

"How's the head?"

"Fine and what's up with the 21 questions?"

"Well, if everything is good and fine, how about you go change those running shoes to some cleats then?" Dawn smirked at me.

"Really? I asked her, not believing what she was saying.

"Yeah, come on now. You don't want to run extra laps on your first training back because you're late now do you?" She grinned at me.

I rushed back to my locker and changed my shoes. Dawn and I made our way outside. At the entrance of the field stood a cameraman. He looked right at me and I smiled at the camera making a peace sign and making a crazy face.

"The Queen returns. How does it feel to be back?" He asked me.

"The best feeling in the world. Let's fucking go!"

My teammates were already on the field and had obviously heard my interaction with the cameraman. They started cheering when I approached.

"Yes, Queenie!"

"Go, Queen!"

"Yeah, Queenie!"

They all walked up to me to pat me on my back. Kelley swung her arm around my shoulder. She had a big smile on her face while she pulled me into her a bit more.