Chapter 39

He doesn't really know what's going on. He doesn't know why they don't get up when he screams for them. He doesn't know why they just keep sleeping. 

They should be up by now. His mom always got mad at him for sleeping in so late so why isn't she up? Dad makes breakfast in the morning. They should be home. They should all be home. 

He heard the adults say that it was a car crash. That stuff only happens in movies, right? So, they should wake up or Katsuki will really start to get mad. 

They keep telling him to be quiet. How can he when his parents are ignoring him like this? It isn't fair. Did he do something? 

So, he sits in the front aisle of the church, starting at his parents. He doesn't make a sound. He was told to be quiet.

 Maybe if he's quiet his parents will forgive him for whatever he did and wake up. They can all laugh again like that morning it all went wrong. 

"Who is going to take care of this child?" 

"I would if i could but..." 

Someone sits next to him. No one has even talked to him this whole time, not offering their grievances, just watching a kid who just had his whole life shatter to pieces. He feels the other person grab his small hand. 

"I know it's hard Bakugou. You can stay with us." 

Katsuki looks at the man. He has never seen him before in real life, only in photos on the walls. His uncle. His wife, his mother's sister, is sitting at the other side of Katsuki, her hand also grabbing his. 

She looks like a skeletal version of his mother. Sunken cheeks and a dead stare. The sight is unnerving. 

Still, he feels comforted for the first time since this all began. 

When he first moves in, it's not bad. Just a little uncomfortable. His room is a small one next to the adult's room that used to be the room used for any storage they kept.

 Hes quiet, but as weeks go by he starts to open up. The house is livelier, brighter. He started to think this place could be a new home. 

He was wrong. 

His uncle had started to come home drunk. Katsuki knew he drank a lot because he would come home late smelling of booze, but by the time he had gotten home he had mellowed out. 

Not this time. Katsuki was at the dinner table doing homework when the man stumbled in. Taking a seat, across from him, he stares. 

Katsuki looks up at him and smiles. His uncle just stares. Finally, he speaks, his words slurred. 

"You know something kid... You look a lot like your mother. She was cute, hot even. When we were in school, all the boys were all over her. She was head strong and swore so bad a sailor would turn red in embarrassment. She was the first women i ever loved."