Chapter 72

She really wants to call him. She has his number saved in her phone, and every day she looks at it and thinks about pressing the call button. 

But every time, she stops herself. What would she even say? She often pretends that she called him, just to practice for a day that may never come. 

"Hello Katsuki. How are you? I hope you're doing ok... I'm doing fine, you know, as fine as i can be with your uncle taking out his anger on me now that you're not here." 

"It's crazy actually, i was just thinking and i was wondering if you wanted to come over to stay the night? Just for a little bit. You could do that for your poor aunt can't you? Just for one more night so i can finally sleep in peace?" 

She takes the phone from her ear and pinches the bridge of her nose. What is she going to do? Her phone vibrates in her hand, and she jumps, quickly looking at it to make sure she didn't actually call him. 

Luckily for her, it's an unknown number. She picks up, putting it back to her ear.

"H-Hello?" 

"Hello ma'am. My name is Todoroki Enji and I'm the chief of police. I was wondering if you could answer a couple of my questions." 

Oh god what now? Did that pig do something again? Will she have to- 

"O-of course s-sir." 

The man's voice is smooth and deep, clearly a professional. It worries her slightly, makes her nervous. 

"It's about Katsuki Bakugou. Did you recently have a family matter that may have needed Mr. Bakugou to drive over?" 

Her heartbeat steadies, but her voice has a tone of confusion. 

"Um no sir, not at all." 

The man is quiet for a couple of seconds and then he continues to speak. 

"I see. And have you heard from or seen Mr. Bakugou recently?" 

"Yes sir, i have. What is this about?" 

"Nothing bad ma'am, just clearing up some loose ends. Do you know where Mr. Bakugou currently lives?" 

She sees an opportunity. 

"H-He is supposed to be with us, his legal guardians, but he ran away with some kid from his class. We told him to come home but the other boy wouldn't let him leave. He had a knife and threatened to h-hurt us and-" 

She breaks off her sentence, thinking of something to make her cry. She starts to sob, apologizing. The man comforts her, the sound of scribbling heard in the background. 

"Ma'am can you tell us what this other boy looked like?" 

"Y-Yes, he had green hair and eyes a-and freckles." 

"And this man threatened you with a knife and is keeping Mr. Bakugou hostage in his home?" 

"Yes! W-we tried calling but the police said that they could do nothing about it, p-please, you need to help get my nephew back!" 

"Of course, ma'am, please rest assured that we will bring him back safely. Thank you for your time, we will make sure to keep you updated." 

"Thank y-you so much..." 

There is the click of the man hanging up. 

Maybe she'll finally be able to get some rest.