Chapter 49

He did a lot of talking, but in the end it was worth it. After a couple of hours, Todoroki was able to convince his father to take the case. 

Seeing the girl's parents weep and thank him brightened the mood he had been in. 

They are now in his office, the case file so far spread over his wooden desk. The room was spacious, with bulletin boards, awards, and certificates on the walls.

 A picture of the Todoroki family is sitting on the desk.

 Todoroki flips it down after looking at it for a couple seconds. 

His father doesn't notice, too preoccupied with reading what they have so far. 

"The girl's friends are coming in soon to take statements. I'll read over them and see if it matches up with what her parents say. Still Shoto," 

He looks back at him, his face grim and eyes cold. That same coldness that used to freeze Todoroki in his place did nothing to him now.

 Either the old man's gaze had softened over time or Todoroki has gotten stronger. He hopes its the latter. 

"There is a huge chance she's just hiding away somewhere." 

Todoroki doesn't answer instead looking at the pages on the desk. 

Ochako Uraraka. 

She is the same age as him, her smile is bright, and her cheeks are pink. Shes cute, but he's never really had an interest in things like that.

 Her parents said that she may have ran away, leaving them money beforehand. 

"We'll have to see when her friends make their statements." 

His father gives him a look and then sits in his chair. It creaks slightly under his strong build. 

"Shoto. I know you want to prove you can become a police officer but playing pretend with real people's lives is not the way to do so." 

Todoroki stares at him, his eyes holding no emotion. It had been hard to show anything growing up and its hard now. 

"I'm not playing pretend. I'm doing more than anyone else right now. Did you not see her parents? They looked like they were about to break. You can't tell me you didn't want to help them after seeing that." 

Its silent and his dad opens his mouth to say something, but the words are killed when the door opens and the same man from the front counter pops in. 

"Hey. The students are here." 

His dad takes a deep breath, his shoulders slightly relaxing, and stands. Todoroki steps out of the way and he goes, but not before his dad gives him a tense look. 

'Don't let this end up like last time.' 

He ignores it and looks at the people who are sitting down, waiting for them. Two boys are talking to each other, and their eyes widen when they see them.

 A girl is sitting next to them and her eyes are red and her cheeks are tear streaked. Two other boys are the farthest away.

 The boy closest to everyone else is a blonde who has his legs spread wide and arms folded, a scowl on his face. The second boy catches Todoroki's attention more than the others. 

He doesn't know why. 

The boy has freckles dotting his face, more on his face and his nose. His eyes are shining bright green and Todoroki is captivated by it.