Bounded Promise (Chapter 48)

*Cognitive World*

You stare at Futaba for a moment and blink for a second. Your mind focuses on her name and you begin to repeat her name over and over again in your head until it clicks.

You: F..Futaba Sakura..?

Futaba: Yeah that's my name, don't wear it out.

You: Then you must be related to Sojiro Sakura then.

Futaba: You know Sojiro..? Wait. I knew you seemed familiar before. You're that guy who recently went to Leblanc and chats with Sojiro.

You: T..That is correct..? How did you know?

Futaba: I got my sources.. But besides that.. D..Do you know where we are..?

You: Well I got here thinking this was my inner cognitive world or place but it seems to be more than that it seems. It connects to everyone's cognition in some way or another. The only question is I should be the only one who is present who has some influence here, where someone like you should be idle.

Futaba: I..Idle..? I don't know how long you've been here but.. I've been in this place before.

You: Y..You have?? When..??!

Futaba: I..I don't know.. Like.. maybe a week or so..? It's hard to remember.. I always want to forget about this place when I wake up.. Wait.. That's right.. This must be a dream still..! When I wake up I will forget this place! Like loading a save file after dying in a video game!

You: I am sorry Futaba but this is more than just a "dream". What happens to you here may affect you in the real world.

Futaba: T..That can't be true!

You: Look I will make sure you are safe with me, I won't let anything happen to you.

Futaba: And why should I trust you..? You have a similar presence like the things that were harassing me earlier..! How do I know that you won't just pick the evil dialogue option!

You: Wow you really know your gaming metaphors... Umm... Look, I am here to find some way to help me get better in my real body, but apparently I have an evil twin who wants to take my body instead, locking me up here.

Futaba: Woah..! This is like the plot in a video game I played once before!

You: As much as I appreciate the gaming talk, it is not gonna really help us here. However I know my time here is limited so I will be here then I won't. However you have to wake up at some point too so there must be an exit for you too.

Futaba: You think so..?

You: Yeah, I mean you had to get here for something, if you find it maybe you won't need to come back here either. Just like me I have something I need from here and I won't have to come here again.

Futaba: Do you promise to help me out..?

You: Of course, if you are the boss's family then I have to help you out. It is only fair for how kind he has been to me. Here let's find a way out together.

You reach out your hand towards Futaba who seems very hesitant to touch you. You tilt your head at her wondering why.

Futaba: S..Sorry, I am not good with social interactions...

You: That's okay, I never was too.

Futaba: W..wha?

You: Yep, when I transferred here to Japan and went to school, I didn't know what to say, however it was Ann and Ren who kinda opened up to me. And now I have a good amount of friends now because they allowed me to have a voice. And I think if you have someone give you a voice you can feel better about speaking to others.