Assignment and Case (Chapter 136)

(Morning July 17th)

*Your POV*

Sae: I won't ask for the details, but I want a straight answer right now. Did Makoto spend the night at your place?

You: Y-Yes, she did.

Sae: *Sigh* You really want to make this difficult, don't you?

You: Not really my motivation, no.

Sae: I know you make her happier, but I am still displeased. I won't make you an example at work, but trust me, I won't show you any mercy if something happens between you and her.

You: I assure you, M-Ma'am, I have no intentions to make any bad decisions.

Sae: I know. We have already talked about this. We have a long day of work today, and I expect you to give me over a hundred percent.

You: Yes Ma'am!

Sae: Did you see Akechi anywhere? I swear he usually is on time.

You: He's actually grabbing my firearm.

Sae: Why would he do that?

You: I guess he is doing me a favor.

Sae: Strange. Whatever, he shouldn't be too late.

Akechi: What about me?

Akechi sneaks his way into the conversation and holds a box in his hands. Placing it next to me, he takes a seat near the both of us. I opened the box to find the M9 Barretta, which also has a specialized holster for it. I waste no time and equip both the holster and weapon. It straps nicely to my shoulder and is easy to access from. I sit back in my seat and listen to Sae.

Sae: Everyone paying attention? Good. Now, we got some recent homicide cases and potential criminal activity in some areas of Shibuya. Now, I know that the police have some leads, but I asked for this case to be placed into my care.

Akechi: How bold of you, Sae-san.

You: Do we have any strong leads?

Sae: You waste no time. Yes, we have some definitive leads, but nothing conclusive, I am afraid. Reading the police reports, we have several victims. One of them was one of the running politicians for the prime minister. He wasn't in any favor to win, so it is highly unlikely a rival wanted him gone. Here are the pictures of the crime scene.

Laid out, Sae presents a scene of a sidewalk and a small family business that has the candidate's body next to it. A single bullet in his head. Other pictures depict middle aged men with similar builds with each other have also been killed about the same way in different districts of Shibuya.

Akechi: Do we know the motive?

Sae: Not quite; witness reports claim that the gunshots were concealed by a silencer, so any actual knowledge of the suspect or suspects is unclear. The deaths all happened in a span of fourteen hours from each other. Whoever did it, either had a plan or was taking out people at random.

You: The suspect is searching for someone. All the targets were mistakes.

Akechi: Oh?

Sae: Y/N, are you sure that is the

You: When put together, each of the targets has similar builds. The politician and the rest of the other victims share common traits.

Sae: I am assuming you are talking about their ages and builds.

You: Correct. But you miss one thing.

Sae: Enlighten me.

You The locations of the victims seem like a random mess. But if you look at the map and pinpoint each spot where they were killed, you will find some errors. Give me a pen or something; I need to mark this down.

Sae: *Hands pen* Here.

You: So, if we take the route of which he most likely took, it may seem odd or out of place. Making anyone confused, but if you follow each point, it leads us to the final victim, the politician. His death was in the middle of Shibuya.

Akechi: We already pointed out that fact, and it gets us nowhere.

You: That's where you give up too quickly. The connection here is that each victim all died with one bullet to the head by a silence weapon in broad daylight. The suspect is either confident or has been trained to kill a particular type of person until it meets the right one. What if this suspect's only goal now is to search for their target? A specific politician.

Sae: But they already killed the politician.

You: That is true, but he wasn't the right one.

Sae: Are you saying he mistaken the politician he killed?

You: Exactly. If this were some organized crime, they would do hits in private, not in public. And if this were a serial killer, he would leave some kind of motive. But this one wants to be mysterious. This one wants to continue until his target has been taken out.

Akechi: Then he has a lot of politicians to kill. I guess if he saw a guy in a suit advocating for the Prime Minister position, this all kind of falls flat, saying out loud.

Sae: Do you have a theory Y/N? I am all ears.

You: What did all the victims have in common? They were overweight, middle-aged, and had another thing. They all had suits on. Each one of these victims were in business or politics. However, when was the last time you heard or saw many overweight politicians?

Sae: You have a point. Our nation has fewer overweight politicians these days.

You: People are more likely to vote for a politician who is fit and able for such a highly demanding job in Japan. Only very persuasive and charismatic or very corrupt overweight politicians can achieve any political power.

Akechi: Where do we start? Just go and watch every politician who meets the criteria?

You: No, because there is no one left running for Prime Minister who fits all the criteria.

Akechi: Then they killed the one they wanted. Or not. I feel like something is missing here.

Sae: You seem to know your game here, Y/N. Please show me how your brain works.

You: Remember, the candidate was not that popular. So, logically, he doesn't fit the motive of getting rid of a promising runner, so he was just an unlucky target. Which means the target is running for Prime Minister. It has to be the other political positions that are in play.

Akechi: Well, the only other campaigns that are going on are... Diet politicians. But I wouldn't know who would fit the description.

Sae: Diet, huh...

You: I don't know any of them running or in office at the Diet building, but we should try to find every runner. Find the likely target and apprehend the suspect.

Sae: Wait a minute. There is one candidate who fits the criteria.

Akechi: You have who it is?

Sae: Former Dietman Toranosuke Yoshida is running for a position again. He is middle-aged, wearing a business suit, and overweight. That's our man.

Akechi: I never heard of him. Are we sure he is the right guy?

Sae: I'm not really sure, but I heard that he has suddenly gained some rallying support lately. It seems like someone might be worried they might lose to him with his new votes. Akechi, Y/N, we are heading to his location with a small force. We will catch this killer today.

Akechi and You: Yes, Ma'am!