Step Back (Chapter 87)

Unknown World

Your POV

Running from the Shadow, you leap off ledges in an attempt to make distance but the Shadow seems to keep pace. Your heart rate begins to spike as levels of fear begin to fill your mind. Soon you begin to feel your body start to act up and soon feel a cough rising in your throat, trying not to stop you pick up speed down a hall and duck under some ruins that are big enough for you to enter. Rolling down a incline you fall what feels like 20 feet and attempt to land on your feet. You hit an edge on your side before falling roughly on your side. Pain shoots throughout your body as your bones struggle to recover from the rough impact.

You: G..gahh.. I got away but at a cost-

You feel a sudden and violent outburst as you go into a coughing fit. Blood slowly slips past your fingers as your condition has worsen even after removing the amplifier. With a shaky hand, you grab your bottle of pills that Takemi gave you last week after waking up from your coma and take a pill. The fast-acting medicine quickly reduces your pain and the symptoms subside...

You: Shit..! I won't last in this place if I can't find a way to fight back or evade a chase properly. L..Let's see what we have here..? If I had to guess... This place is some temple or tomb from the structure of this place. Some sort of desert. But I know this might be connected to Futaba and her Cognitive World. Almost like... Almost like this is her Palace... Maybe. I hope that isn't the case but if she dragged me into this place I should try to find her and make sure she is safe-

A sudden light shines in your eyes as you are attracted to its gleam. Not knowing what it could be you approach it... Soon you set your eyes on a rusting sword in the sand that has seen better days.

You: This sword looks... Usable... Maybe I could defend myself with this. Alright!

You grip the sword and slowly pull it out of the sand. The moment you do, a sudden glint of the light flickers off the wall which makes you spot a small lever. After examining the sword and test swinging it, you turn towards the lever.

You: I should probably pull this. I got nowhere to go at this point so maybe I can find Futaba somewhere and get her out.

Pulling the lever, it opens a doorway that slides up and reveals a lit hallway. Walking through, you find yourself looking at small pieces of art on the walls with a girl wearing a pharaoh costume that sorta resembles Futaba...

You: So this place is connected to her... I wonder why...

Thoughts begin to ponder in your head but you figure it's best to tackle this head on before saying too long. If this is connected to the Cognitive World's influence then time is passing very quickly in that case. So picking up the pace you rush forward into a chamber that is massive in scale which is lit by torches and some weird crystals shining light.

You: Wow this place is impressive... I wonder if-

You are cut off as the ruins begin to rumble and parts of the floor you are standing on crumbles, you quickly jump to the side and roll out of the way.

You: ...And unstable. Got it. Better be more careful-

Shadow: FoUnD YoU!

You:...!

Your reflexes kick in and you duck and roll to the side as the Shadow reaches for you and swings what seems like a massive club-like weapon. You reach for your sword and swing it forward to deflect his attack, knocking you down the incline you nearly fall down a hole and leap back onto a platform. The Shadow jumps and attempts to smash you with his club. Ducking and rolling you use every fiber of strength to avoid getting hit. A single mistake can be fatal in your current state. So you prepare for every counter you can create...

You: Come on... Let's tango buddy!

You leap forward, and swing your sword downwards, attacking the Shadow with momentum and clashing his club. You suddenly feel a violent vibration run through your arms as the feeling of using your strength and not from a Persona. The feeling soon hurts and begins to numb your hands. Quickly taking in the situation, you strike again and soon your strikes begin to feel less effective, taking more stamina and increasing the numbing feeling.

The Shadow reels back and backhands you, you attempt to block but the sudden force reels you down and you are launched into the air. The blunt force trauma causes a sickening pain to shoot throughout your body as you hit the floor. Blood slowly drips from your nose as the sudden pressure has caused blood to shoot into your lungs and out your mouth and nose. You begin to struggle as you get to your feet. The Shadow approaches with a dark presence behind it...

You: Using my normal style of fighting is costing me too much energy and with how heavy this blade feels... It's only gonna hurt me more... *Sighs* Damn it... Why does everything gotta be complicated..!

The Shadow swings towards you and you duck under the attack and roll behind it. Trying to get a new feel for fighting, you try to swing your sword more quickly but you end up using more and more stamina and soon you begin to tire quickly. Heavy breaths occur as you strain to lift the sword above your head and you are pushed back and onto the floor. The Shadow raises his club high and starts to drop it on top of you... The sudden thought of death quickly fuels your actions and soon you grip the sword and roll to the side and slash the Shadow quickly with the blade before flipping the blade around reverse style and focusing on using the momentum of your wrist and the weight you quickly strike and slash through the Shadow. It reels back and tries to swing at you but you deflect the attack with your blade, causing it to slide past. You reel back again and hold the blade out...

You: Now this is more like it..! I can win with this..!

Thank you guys for reading this chapter! I hope you enjoyed it! So we are sorta back in working order here. I will be attempting to push out chapters although shorter in length to fit my schedule from week to week as best as I can so expect chapters to be about 1000 to 1300 words on average but it leaves me open to post more frequently without feeling burdened by it. I hope this works for you guys!

Due to some issues and problems I am facing in life, I am now promoting my Patreon to anyone who wants to support me financially, this not only will provide me with some sort of income, however small or large it is, that will allow me to focus even more effort into writing for you guys. It is entirely your decision to check it out and provide me with any money you want to give me, the lowest starting is 5 minimum. Entirely up to you again, patreon.com/AKAustin is my Pateron for you to visit! Well I will See you all in the Next one! Thanks again!