Ryuji's Memories Part 1 (Chapter 110)

*Cognitive World*

Your POV

You pass through the barrier with little to no ease. The bright white realm closes on you, and the space comes to life—a white field of brown dirt and a cool breeze.

The sounds of running and crowds cheering play on an open speaker.

Announcer: Ryuji takes first place! Look at him go!

You: Ryuji?

Breaking off in a sprint, you find an open track and field. A large crowd of shadows stared as they watched a horribly exhausted Ryuji running in a circle track. Chains wrap around his neck and wrists. He is racing against his own shadow, which overtakes him instantly and continuously overlaps him.

Ryuji's Shadow: Remember! Each lap I pass you, you must do another ten before you can get out of these chains!

Ryuji:...

Ryuji's Shadow: Have fun!

The cocky shadow ruthlessly continues to sprint around, overlapping Ryuji yet again. He has overlapped with him more than a hundred times. Ryuji is almost a husk that is bound by his own satisfaction for running. His bad knee looks close to giving out entirely and falling off at this point. The shadow overtakes him again but knocks into his bad knee to rub dirt into the wound. Ryuji falls down in a stumble, and agony is written across his face. But, pushing through the pain, he stands up and limply continues.

Ryuji: U..ugh....

A weak gasp leaves his lips, and the anguish of this hell has taken its toll on him. You cannot watch any longer and jump down.

You: Ryuji!

Announcer: What's this? Another contestant?

Without paying any mind, you summon Shokan and, slice through the chains, and remove them. A crowd of boos rings out in the circle as disapproval rings around you both. 

Ryuji's Shadow: Now, now! That won't do! We need to show off to these fine individuals, but I need someone to help me show off. And he was perfect!

You: If you think making a guy with a bad knee run this stupid thing, you got something seriously wrong in your head. If you don't like it, I can just kill you right now. Hell, I will get him out of here.

Ryuji's Shadow: Bold words. However, that is not how things work around here. This track only exists to free those who are bound to it. If you believe he shouldn't run, fine, but someone needs to take his place and catch up if you want him gone from here. And I don't see anyone here in the crowd who will replace him!

You: Do you really need to say all that? You damn know well I am here to replace him.

Ryuji's Shadow: Are you sure? You don't look much of a runner.

You: More than enough to take you down.

Ryuji's Shadow: Very well, if you are confident in catching up with one thousand seven hundred and eighty-two laps, then I won't stop you.

You place Ryuji away from the track and prop him up to rest. Taking off your jacket, you approach the track wearing only pants and a shirt. It is not the ideal fit for running, but a plan begins to brew in the back of your mind, and you focus clearly on the path forward. 

Announcer: Alright, folks! We have a new runner to replace our last!

You: Let's get this over with.

Ryuji's Shadow: You sound like you'll finish this soon; I admire that, but you must know you are a fool to believe-

You: Would you shut up.

Announcer: Ready! Set! Go!

The moment the starting gun goes off, Ryuji's Shadow takes off in a mad sprint, faster than what most would consider impossible.

Ryuji's Shadow: Haha! I told you that this would be-

You: I am not so sure you should be boasting.

Ryuji's Shadow: Wha-

Without a moment of hesitation, channeling the dark power of Kage, you pull out your gun and shoot Ryuji's Shadow in the head, watching him crumble over. Your mask burns to your face, and your attire wraps you in the dark essence. Standing over the shadow, you unload your clip into its body before turning away and walking toward Ryuji.

The crowd stares in silence. Letting you approach Ryuji and begin to get him on his feet.

Ryuji's Shadow:...Do you think this is funny?

You:...?

You turn your head to spot one of the shadows in the crowd's face has contorted into Ryuji's shadow. He steps from the crowd and looks at the dead body of a random Shadow.

Ryuji's Shadow: If you think that is funny or clever... I need to teach you something like fuck around and find out!

You: Shit... It couldn't be easy, could it.

Taking Shokan out while placing Ryuji down on the ground, you watch as the rest of the Shadows contort and all transform into Ryuji's Shadow....

Thank you guys for reading this chapter! I hope you enjoyed it! I know it's been a bit, and this chapter isn't the longest, but I don't have much time or days to write these each week due to work and other projects. So these chapters, which should be between 800-1300 words average will be 3 days apart so I can have a healthy schedule for myself and these until completetion. I know it will take well over a year to finish the story, but this is still a great task along with my Webnovel I am also writing, which has been much more intriguing than this sadly to say. I still love writing this story but making something original and new for many has been a blast and more of my time and effort will go into making the Webnovel but I won't be pushing this back much anymore. Just I will have to make a lot of shorter chapters for time reasons. But thank you all for sticking with me for this journey. It still is long but I cannot wait to have you guys see it to it's end. 

Due to some issues and problems, I am facing in life, I am now promoting my Patreon to anyone who wants to support me financially; this will not only provide me with some sort of income, however small or large it is, that will allow me to focus even more effort into writing for you guys. It is entirely your decision to check it out and provide me with any money you want to give me; the lowest starting is 5 minimum. Entirely up to you again, patreon.com/AKAustin is my Pateron for you to visit! Well, I will See you all in the Next one! Thanks again!