Forward Thinking (Chapter 88)

Cognitive World

Your POV

Lifting your arm with the blade you ready yourself against the big Shadow. Taking a deep breath you relax your body and get into a grove to help you focus on the battle in front of you. Holding the sword in reverse you twirl it around you. The Shadow rushes forward and swings from the side which you can duck under and counter with a slash on its legs. Unfazed it turns and smacks you with his hand. You are pushed back and nearly slip off the edge but quickly rolled forward to avoid that. Holding the blade you leap forward and deflect its next attack with the blade and jump up its knee and stab into its chest. The shadow reels back but quickly grabs ahold of you.

You: G..Grahh..! Let go!

It begins to squeeze you and the air in your lungs is quickly snuffed. You gasp to try to breathe in anything but the Shadow presses harder. Grunting from the pain you begin to struggle in the grasp. Finding the sword in its chest still there, you use it to stand on, and with all your might you slip out of the hand briefly to then kick the sword up and grab its handle. Pulling out the sword you sliced into the arm of the Shadow which proceeds to drop you. Gaining the moment of hair you rush the staggered Shadow and ram your blade into its chest again, knocking backward to the edge. It stumbles a bit before trying to recover by moving up. You focus your strength on your legs which you push off and slash in a twirl against the shadow and bring him down again, just at the edge. Figuring your only way to kill this thing is by pushing it off the edge. Straining, you stab the shadow in the arm before dragging it through the arm towards the legs which it starts to shuffle in pain. 

You: Take this!

You step back and slash into its reaching arm, cutting off some fingers and a bit of the wrist. It reacts by leaping forward, you push with all your might against it and repel it backward. Breathing hard you keep on the attack and seal the deal by slashing through its stomach and causing enough damage to stagger it to its knees. Knowing that it's almost done you push with all your might to send the Shadow down the edge and into the abyss below. Falling to your knees, breathing hard, you relax for a moment...

You: Man... That was one of the hardest fights against a Shadow... I miss Bahamut..! Rrrahh...! That took a lot of me to fight like that.

Getting to your feet you proceed to look around your surroundings.

You: Well if this is some sort of base level, then I must be near the exit hopefully. Just need to get out of this area first...

Taking another breath you get a running start before leaping to the other side of the edge. Once you leap forward you barely make the edge and grab the ledge. You struggle a moment and the moment you gain any grip, you begin to feel your arms shake. You quickly pull yourself up and the moment you do, you are dragged down instantly, barely holding on. To your surprise, you look down to see the giant Shadow is still alive, clutching your left leg.

You: R..Rahh!! Let go! Damn it!

The weight is unbearable and you begin to slip. Sweat drips down your forehead and you quickly let go of one hand to wield your sword and begin to slice away at its hand. Wishing to cut at it, you pour the rest of your strength making wild swings and attempts to free yourself, slicing into the Shadow it reacts by moving back and forth, causing your arm to grow tired faster. You strain a bit as you focus on keeping your grip on the edge but with one final muster of strength, you pull yourself up a bit before using your hand to slash down onto the Shadow's hand, slicing through it, making it let go and fall back into the dark depths below once again. However soon after pulling yourself up, you feel a sharp pain shoot through your leg. Looking down, you notice a trail of blood leaking down your pants leg, trailing behind you. Your final attack with your sword to sever the hand had gone through the Shadow's form and sliced into your leg, causing a nasty gash.