Focal Lens (Chapter 137)

(Midday July 17th)

*Your POV*

Riding in a police cruiser, you arrive just before in Shibuya. Under orders, you are to approach and keep a lookout for any suspicious individuals. With your new sidearm, you felt safe approaching the situation. In the distance, the sounds of a speech can be heard as Yoshida is doing one of his campaign pieces. There is a ring on your phone, and you pick it up to be Akechi.

Akechi: We are in position. Several officers are also on the lookout. Do you have a visual?

You: Are you sure we should be on site? Aren't we still school students?

Akechi: Hardly. I've been doing this job for some time, and a little danger is par for the course. We know what we signed up for.

You: I know how to shoot a gun pretty well, but I haven't been field-tested or trained for situations like this.

Sae: Is that Y/N you are talking to? Give me your phone. Hey! I have a lot of faith in you. You better shape up and do the job; otherwise, I will remove you from my team if you quit now.

You: No, Ma'am.

Sae: Good, now enough chatter; we have to find this guy before it's too late.

Akechi: Securing and setting a post now. Good luck.

You: You too.

After hanging up, you take a side path that leads close to the buildings across from the stand—seeing Yoshida, the middle-aged man, giving his speech. Filled with confidence, he performs quite well. Slipping past some people, you know the suspect makes sure to put a single bullet in the victim's heads with a silence pistol. They would need to have a clear shot in the crowd, which would be unlikely.

Cracking your knuckles to refocus your thoughts, you scan the crowd to spot any hooded or sketchy figures. Across the way, you spot Akechi and Sae taking positions. They give you a nod, and you do so as well. You call Akechi.

Akechi: Yes?

You: The suspect can't get a clear shot with the crowd. If anything, the right angle is nearly impossible from the crowd. And knowing their MO, we need to move fast. They will strike when we least expect it. I am going to take a detour from my post to find any suspicious suspects.

Akechi: I hope you know what you are doing. Your orders are to stay where you are.

You: Sorry, well, I just have a hunch.

Akechi: I'll let her know.

You: Thanks.

After hanging up, you shimmy to the side and take a deep breath while closing your eyes. The surge of power within manifests, and you open your eyes to the golden sheen of Shadow Sense. Peering into the void, you scan for any residual traces of energy that could be left with someone who might be affected by Shadows.

Your idea comes to light as small traces of an inky substance fills the air and grows denser in a single direction, pinpointing the suspect's location in a direction. Focusing further, you weave yourself through the crowd. Leading to an eventual wall. You blink briefly, which erases the vision as you stare at an emotionless figure staring at the stand. The people stand and watch in silence as Yoshida reaches the end of his speech. They begin to rile up and start cheering. The second they do, a faint shadowy aura emanates from the figure as he begins to reach for something in his pocket. With the crowd going wild, none of them would notice this man, wearing a black cap and regular long-sleeved shirt, pulling out a gun. He was still a couple of people away from you, which prevented you from advancing.

Having to make a quick second decision before Yoshida would be killed, you drew your handgun and, aimed it into the air and fired a couple of shots. The ringing sounds of the gunfire nearly deafens you as the ensuing panic causes the suspect to get shoved and miss his shot on Yoshida, who now runs off the stage and takes cover. You are shoved and nearly toppled over, but you regain your posture and try to aim the gun at the suspect.

You: Freeze!

Reacting to your words, the suspect turns his pistol directly at you and prepares to fire. You are trapped by pedestrians trying to run away. If you tried to evade the shot, someone else might get hit. If you didn't evade, you would most certainly be shot. Unorthodox, you kick random person in front of you to shove another into the suspect who trips over the scuffle and fires a shot that just barely grazes your left cheek. The pain of the bullet scratching your face burns, but you quickly draw your gun and attempt to neutralize the suspect, but someone bumps into you and you fall straight onto the ground. Hitting your head in the process, you are left stunned briefly as the suspect attempts to flee on foot; Akechi and the rest of the force struggle to break through the crowds. Leaving you with no choice but to drag yourself onto your own feet and pursue the suspect...