Another Anomaly (Chapter 138)

(Midday July 17th)

Your POV

Sprinting down an alleyway, the suspect fires a shot toward you, forcing you to take cover by a dumpster. You open fire and suppress them. Causing them to jump out of the way. They find a little hole to crawl through the gate connecting to the other side. Seeing this, you take off, jump onto the dumpster, and leap over the gate to pounce on the suspect. They struggle with you and try to raise their gun to shoot you. Before you can reach for the gun, Akechi kicks his arm and pins it down until the gun leaves his hands. Allowing you to secure him with handcuffs. Sae shortly arrives after apprehending him.

Sae: This the suspect?

You: Yes Ma'am.

Sae: Good work; we are taking him in now. Akechi, help pull in a police cruiser. Y/N will escort him.

Akechi: Understood.

Akechi takes off to get a car in the alleyway so we can put the suspect into it. He resisted as best as he could, but I made sure he couldn't budge. Akechi and Sae rode in the vehicle, and you took a ride with another officer. The long drive back to the precinct left you to your own mind. Almost nearly dying and having to save those people who would have been shot by the suspect. Upon reaching the place, you proceed to help process the individual.

Sae: Good work again. We got the bastard.

Akechi: He certainly had very few bullets left in his gun and only one clip with a single bullet. The single-round magazine was meant for him if he was discovered before or after his mission was completed. 

You: That's what he was trying to do when I pounced him. Thankfully, you were just in time to stop him, Akechi.

Akechi: Don't mention it. They are booking him for Interrogation.

Sae: He probably won't say anything. These types are too loyal or are trained to not speak.

You: I guess we should just get ready to speak to a wall.

Sae: Guess so. But thanks to you, Y/N, we were able to catch him before he murdered Yoshida.

You: People still died because of him. Let's thank each other when he is put behind bars.

Akechi: I need to go and grab something, I'll be back.

Sae: Don't be long. Let's go Y/N.

You: Yes Ma'am.

Heading down into the basement, where the holding cells and interrogation rooms are, Sae leads you to the room holding him. He sits in the chair with his hands cuffed, his face clearly bloodied and bruised by previous beatings. It seems they tried to get something out of him early.

Sae: *Sighs* Why don't you tell me what your name? Something to call you.

Man:....

Sae: Silent treatment. Nothing unexpected, but you do realize that we caught you and are aiming to catch whoever ordered you to kill Yoshida. If you want something nice, you best play ball.

Man:....

Sae: Hmm.

You: If I may.

Sae: Go ahead.

You: Thank you.

Man:...

Sitting in the chair in front of the man. You close your eyes, channel your inner power, and stare at him. Using the influence of the Cognitive World, you force his Shadow to writhe in the tension.

You: Tell us who sent you. I won't be nice to ask again if you don't

Man: I'll never talk...!

The man's hair is damp and sweaty. He struggles the cuffs, knowing that something isn't right he tries to resist. You push forward and grab his hair. Sae attempts to step in but hesitates.

You: Listen here! I won't tolerate to make you suffer, but I am willing to do the bare minimum if you tell us what we want to know.

Man: Grr... Go to hell!

You yank his hair, and using your abilities, the Cognition within him starts to break. Letting him go, he breathes heavily. Hitting him now is pointless seeing as the damage from earlier was pretty bad.

You: Tell me now!

Sae: Okay, that's enough-

Man: They will kill me if I talk!

You: Oh, it will be much worse if you don't. Give me something!

Pulling his hair further, he struggles to grasp a single thought. With barely doing anything painful to him, using your abilities somewhat, you pry into his Shadow and damage it. Causing him to react in such a manner that lets him slip.

Man: Killing one man. No need to ask. Order was an order.

You: Tell me who sent you!

Man: A-Ahh...! I can't... I-I won't...

Pushing further, you burn his Shadow away—the pain from within starts to work its way through the man. A couple minutes of pressuring, you begin to feel yourself tapping into his mind and breaking him to tell you the truth.

Man: U..Ugh...

You: We didn't need to make this hard, cough up the intel. Who sent you.

After asking this question, a slight chill passes through you. Making back away and shake your head for a second until you see a twitch go across the man.

Man: I was sent by someone very powerful..! Gahh... Let me go, please... I can't be here. I'll die.

You: All you need to do is tell me a name. You're still in trouble but give me the god damn name!

Man: Y..Yraahh! I..it was the runner up. It was Shi-Graackk!

The man quickly grips his chest and fumbles over the table. Instantly, the man starts to have a psychotic breakdown. Sae runs to the guy, trying to free his hands so she can save him. You realize someone must have done this to him just now. Closing your eyes, you channel the power within to activate Shadow Sense. Turning and looking, you spot traces of someone just here; whoever it was that caused that in him had recently left—someone with the same abilities as you.

Sprinting out of the room, you chase after the faint traces, hearing Sae call for you in the distance. Your power shows you a string of pieces that seemingly connect to a figure. HIs footprints only leaving a trail for you to follow...