Ungreiving Friends (Chapter 97)

*Afternoon July 10*

Your POV

Upon seeing Ren staring blankly, you place your hand on his shoulder...

You: R...Ren are you alright?

As if someone waking up from a dream, he snaps out of his trance and shakes his head, and turns toward you with a grim look. Bags seem to fill the circles of his eyes, and his pupils were dimmed.

Ren: Oh... Hey Y/N.

You: H...Hey?

Futaba: Is everything okay?

Ren: Oh I'm fine just... Why are you guys here?

You: We came to check up on you... You didn't answer any of our texts, no one has.

Ren: Oh is that so... Well I probably was sleeping.

You can instantly tell something is off with him. His speech and tone are nearly monotone and robotic. He blinks for a moment and a bit of life returns and he gives you an exhausted smirk.

Ren: Do you guys see Morgana?

Futaba: He's right here.

Futaba lifts in her arms the black cat who blinks softly and looks around before speaking.

Morgana: Wow I am floating.

You: Futaba is holding you.

Morgana: *Looks up at Futaba* Oh I am. Cool.

You: Uhhh...

Futaba: Don't look at me!

You: I just... This is so random.

Morgana blinks a few times and shakes his head and rubs his eyes. He blinks again before his standard voice patterns return to somewhat normal.

Morgana: Meeehhh let me down.

Futaba: Nope.

Morgana: I will bite.

Futaba: No you won't.

Morgana: Oh poop...

You: It seems like you guys are doing fine *Trying to gesture to Futaba to play along*

Futaba: Well I think I need to head back. See ya!

She sets Morgana down before slowly descending the stairs and gives you a nod before leaving.

Ren: What was that about?

You: Don't worry about it, just she is finally out of her little stupor.

Ren: That's right, did something happen?

You: Oh I visited her and she was just a bit sick and bedridden so it wasn't anything serious.

Ren: That's good. Well, I need to have breakfast...

You: It's already past noon...

Ren: Theeeeeeen lunch.