Lingering Despair (Chapter 76)

*Afternoon June 26*

Ren POV

It's been 4 days since our encounter in the Palace. Somehow neither one of us had the courage to speak about what happened. Ann and Ryuji didn't show up to school for the rest of the week and I know that Futaba sealed herself back into her room and blocked everything out. Yusuke kept to himself since and has stayed at his school for the time being. It was Makoto who I was worried about. I think I was able to piece it together after thinking about it, but I realized that she had that kind of relationship with Y/N. We all agreed before going our separate ways to keep this between us, but it seemed like our time as Phantom Thieves was fun and games until the dark truth revealed itself. Loosing our friend was the final match to ignite the sudden terror of what we were doing. However I didn't want us to end like this. I know that losing him wasn't something we had imagined but we had to do something. At least I should. So I figured I should investigate it.

Morgana: Ren, what do you think you are doing?

Ren: I am going to see something.

Morgana: Ren.. Y/N won't be there.

Ren:...

Morgana: He never reappeared after we left the Palace. I don't know if he is still there or not. But Kage is that is someone we can't face, even if we had everyone it would be useless.

Ren: I just want to check his home..

Morgana: Suit yourself. I guess I have to tag along and be the reasonable one.

Ren: Thank you Morgana.

Taking the corner, I find myself right in front of his house. The name plate stares right at me. Hands sweaty and shaking, I go and attempt to open the door. I figure it would be locked and that would be it but, the nob turns. I find myself slowly opening into the hallway and looking on in shock.

Morgana: It's open..?

Ren: Guess so..

I enter and slowly approach the living room. Looking around it is dark and like it hasn't been touched for a bit. Looking back, I felt a wave of emotion trying to overtake my thoughts but my lingering despair had to be answered.. I took each step up the stairs with caution and approached the single bedroom that was closed.

Ren: If only he was here huh..

Morgana: Ren..

I open the door and walk into the room without thinking. I suddenly found myself pressed against the wall, staring at the bed. My eyes dart back and forth as I can't contain the immense sudden thoughts racing through my mind. I blink for a moment and it doesn't go away. I stand there for a good minute, feeling Morgana scratching my arm a bit I snap awake from my daze.

Morgana: Ren..!

Ren: H..He's here.

Morgana: I know..! But look!

Ren:...!

As I focused on my friend's sleeping figure on the bed, I noticed something was off. I finally approached him and examined him. His body was neither hot or cold but somewhere in the middle, almost like his body was in stasis. He was breathing but nothing I did seemed to stir him awake. Almost like he was in a internal slumber I started to get up and call everyone until Morgana pointed something out..