Broken Ground (Chapter 61)

*Morning June 8*

After waking up to the sudden visual of Kawakami, you broke into a mad dash towards the hospital. After a painful run through the city you head into the hospital and take it a little slow. Controlling your breathing and approaching the reception desk. You ask for Kawakami and are alarmed to hear that Kawakami is in critical condition... You asked if you could visit her and state you are a good friend of hers. You are told you may visit for a little while..

You walk towards her room, sweat breaking down your forehead.. You walk up to her door and slowly open it... You enter the room to see her hooked up to some machines, she has a lot of bandages wrapped around her arms, body, and head... You remember what the receptionist had told you...

*Receptionist: She was found in the street by a Shujin High School student and was rushed to the hospital. She was violently and horribly beaten by some client of hers.. Apparently she was working for some obscure maid agency and the client she went to did this. She was brutally beaten and was sexually assaulted.. The Doctors did what they could but her condition is not stable so if you go see her, don't disturb her..*

You are caught in shock as you see the image before you of Kawakami laying in the hospital bed covered in bruises, cuts, and various bandages all over her. You silently walk to the side of the bed and take a seat with little noise. Resting your head into your hands, you can't help but start to feel an overwhelming emotion of anger and sadness...

You: *Quietly* I am so sorry this happened to you... I should have stopped you.. Protected you... Now you are in this state...

You whisper to yourself for a while as you silently pray for her. Tears slowly run down your cheeks as you get sudden, yet not painful flashes on Kawakami.. You witness her happily teaching her class as you sit in your seat and then it flashes to Kawakami giving you lessons after school, you are having fun with her. She smiles brightly and places her hand on your head to ruffle your hair. Another flash shows you and Kawakami together in her home helping you study and she is proud of you. Her smile in the sudden flash causes you to grit your teeth as you are soon met with the current image of Kawakami in the state she is in..

You: I will make sure.. This doesn't happen again...

Kawakami:...M..M..mm....

You:..!

Kawakami: *Breathing Painfully* Y..Y/N...?

You: It's me.. Don't talk.. Save your strength..

Kawakami: I... I didn't mean to trouble you like this..

You: No.. No.. You didn't do anything wrong..

Kawakami: I promised you.. I would help you after school... today...

You: Don't worry about that now.. Worry about getting better.

Kawakami:...You have such kind eyes for someone like you.. You know..?

You see her straining to reach towards you, and you instinctively grasp her hand. Tears slowly pour down your cheeks as you feel how frail her hand is. They are still bruised and bandaged up..

Kawakami: You visited fast..

You: Yeah I kinda knew you were in the hospital.. They told me.. Umm.. I am sorry..

Kawakami: Don't worry.. It wasn't your fault..

You: I could have stopped you from going out last night.. You wouldn't have had this happen..

Kawakami: I had to.. Go.. *Gasping for Breath* I didn't know it would end up like.. this..

You: Well don't worry about this.. You'll be back on your feet in no time..