Chapter 118

True to her word, Grigori allowed the Palantír to go on and play the next scene of the battle. She intended to send them to dinner after this record, so she could heal the soul dissonance between the counterparts of Rex, Rei, Hannah, and Jack from the two timelines.

He was looking at the black storm. There was a black thread reaching toward it. The thread made of dead mana started to pierce through the storm.
“…What the…!”
Bernard could also see that black thread approaching him. That weak-looking thin thread was swaying in the wind but continuing toward its goal.
‘Black thread?’

TBOAH!Mary’s jaw silently dropped open beneath the shadow of her hood. This technique was intricate and required an unimaginably vast control and experience in handling her powers, TBOAH!Mary gulped and peeked at her counterpart out the corner of her eye and then quickly returned her gaze to the Palantír as the record continued.

Bernard suddenly felt an odd sensation. It was a sensation he had not felt for a long time. His back and the back of his neck were getting cold. Bernard lowered his head. He could see someone standing on the ground.
The necromancer Mary started to speak, “I’ve been waiting for this.”
‘What?’
“I’ve been waiting for you to turn into bones.”

“Scared?! He was actually a bit scared for a moment…” Valentino mumbled under his breath, his eyes were wide. There were a lot of things happening on the Palantír that occurred in the Empire which he had not known nor could have ever imagined happening. Harol and Litana were still trembling with anger from the earlier scene when they’d seen Bernard using black magic to control the people around him.

Necromancers were weaker than black mages. That was said to be the truth. But there was something Mary could confidently say that she was better than anybody else at doing.
“Handling bones. I am the best at handling bones.”
Mary could not control the living like Bernard had done. However, a Lich was both a living being and a being who had escaped death and continued to live in the form of a skeleton.

No one disagreed, TCF!Mary had done many incredible and amazing things so far. They did not doubt that she would get this bony bastard too – in fact many people were cheering in their minds for her to get him and give him a good beating.

According to the Palantír, Mary knew that controlling a Lich might be impossible, but she believed that she would be able to at least stop him. This was because a Lich’s body was made up of bones, and Necromancers controlled bones better than anyone else.

Mary didn’t know how a necromancer could defeat a black mage, however, she realized the way for a necromancer to hinder a Lich.

TBOAH!Mary looked briefly toward her counterpart seated beside her and then returned her gaze to the Palantír. She was wondering about that too, so now she was planning to watch how her stronger counterpart did it.

“T, this useless power!”
Bernard could see the hundreds, no, thousands, of black threads cutting through the storm and trying to reach his fingers and toes.
“Ugh! These useless things are trying to!”
Bernard tried to create a sword with mana to slice the black threads away. However, there were too many of them. He had not been able to see them because they were so thin. However, he could now see that there were thousands of those threads approaching him. Mary had been stealthily creating these thin threads throughout the battle.

She had been waiting. The opportunity had finally arrived.

Muffled screams filled the hall as Bernard started to scream when the black threads grasped at the Lich’s ankle. The record showed all of this and beneath the dark hoods they were wearing, TBOAH!Mary and TCF!Mary’s eyes gleamed with studious thirst.