Alec Lightwood*Downworlder

Requested via tumblr

Being a downworlder and dating a shadowhunter was hard work, no one could deny that. Especially in New York. Theirs a huge divide in NYC when it comes to downworlders and shadowhunter, even within the downworld there are big divides.

None the less I found myself dating a shadowhunter, Alec Lightwood to be precise. I had met him when he was on business investigating a vampire den that was in the building across from me. He had to question the downworlders who lived in the surrounding area and I was one of them. Only after the serious questions we had a drink and asked each other better questions.

It blossomed into a beautiful relationship but it had its hardships. I had never visited him in the institute and because of that, I hadn't even met his sister or parabatai. We were from 2 different worlds but we made it work.

Alec had crashed at my flat last night since his mission was late at night and he couldn't be bothered walking back to the institute. I didn't mind at all. He had to leave the next morning at 8 but he accidentally forgot his phone. Fuck.

I couldn't  phone him, obviously, and knowing him he wouldn't notice till he needed it. Like on a mission. So I got dressed to go to the institute.

Since it was my first time at the institute and possibly running into his friends I may have dressed up a bit. A nice sweater, jeans that weren't ripped, black boots I had bought last week and a necklace Alec had gotten me. I looked put together at least.

I grabbed the phone, slipped it into my pocket and went out my apartment. Since it was around 8 and I was lazy I just phoned a taxi. "You realise this is an abandoned church right?" the taxi driver, who was actually a good person to chat too, asked when he couldn't see the grand cathedral I could.

"Yup." I paid and tipped him and got out the taxi. It was half 8 and from what Alec had told me I knew most if not all shadowhunters would be up and working. I took a deep breath and walked up to the institute.

I had to stand and wait and hope the person who came out wasn't a dick. I was lucky though as I saw a little redhead come out. Clary. Alec had told me about her and how she was an annoyance and I also knew she was new so most likely wouldn't question me too much. "How can  I help you?" She asked politely. Most shadowhunters hate downworlders so it was a surprise, though she still had a blade in her hand.

"I'm looking for Alec Lightwood," She furrowed her brows and looked confused. "We're dating. He forgot his phone."

I held up his phone and she nodded. "Yeah, he was looking for that." She took the phone and turned around. I kinda expected that but I didn't expect her to turn back to me, "Do you want to see him? I can give you clearance."

"That would be...cool." I decided after a moment. I don't know if he'd want me too but we'd been dating for 8 months so I hoped he wouldn't mind. It would have to happen eventually.

Clary walked inside and came back out a couple minutes later. "Follow me." She smiled.

I did and she guided me through the institute. Shadowhunters saw me and either frowned, made unpleasant faces or shoved past me. Clary sent me an apologetic smile but didn't say anything.

We reached the main room and Clary looked around. "He was here," she frowned. "He's probably just in the bathroom. We can wait." She quickly added.

At first, no one said anything to us but did give me a few weird looks. It wasn't until we had started a friendly conversation did anyone say anything. "Fucking scum." He muttered as he shouldered past me. I shook it off, I didn't expect any better anyway.