Arrested*Alec

Requested Via Tumblr

(W/Y/L) = where you live

Being a downworlder was hard. Especially when you have to work with shadowhunters. I had been minding my own business in my flat when there was a fight outside. I saw the full thing and at one point snapped a pic. It was just so I could zoom in and see if it was one of my neighbours.

It was but that made the whole situation worse. My flat was specifically for and run by downworlders so none of my neighbours was happy when shadowhunters started making rounds in our complex.

Apparently, one of my neighbours was linked to a yin fen den and the fight I saw was just the tip of the iceberg. Somehow I was the only one who saw the fight which made me the number one witness.

In the mundane police system, you cant be forced to make a statement unless it's at a trial. Shadowhunters don't go that way. they refused to leave until I helped them.

Ever since they've been coming back nearly every other night questioning me. It was the same Shadowhunter every time; Alec Lightwood. 

At first, all I wanted to do was punch his nose in but I kept my control. After 2 weeks of regular questioning, I actually liked him. he would come in for a cup of tea or coffee as he asked me the same questions over and over.

I was watching Netflix on my couch when there was a Knock on my door. Shadowhunter knocks aren't normal knocks, more like punching the door. Must be Alec. I thought. "One minute," I yelled as I quickly darted into the kitchen to turn the kettle on.

I didn't check the peephole when I opened the door so I was pretty confused when a blond Shadowhunter was on the other side of the door. "Are you (Y/N) (Y/L/N)?"

"Yeah," I said confused, closing my door slightly so he didn't see the mess of my flat. "Whose asking?" I already knew he was a shadowhunter because of his runes. I was just hoping he didn't say the last name like Aldertree or Morgenstern or something.

"Jace Herondale." Shit, the inquisitors relative. "You're under arrest by the clave for assisting in the exploitation of mundanes."

"What the hell? I didn't do anything!" He sighed and had already shoved the door open. He grabbed my arm and started pulling me out my flat "Get the hell off of me!"

"Can you just shut up. All you downworlders are the same." He muttered the last part but I still heard.

There was no point in fighting a highly trained Shadowhunter so I was basically forced to corporate. Eventually, we got to the institute.

Jace made me stand at some desk and said "Wait here. You're in a room full of shadowhunters so theirs no point running anyway."

I pulled out my phone and text one of my neighbours to go lock my door since he wouldn't let me.

Alec POV

Izzy and I were putting our weapons away from a mission when Jace walked over. "I think I've just arrested one of the most annoying downworlders ever."

Izzy chuckled "What are they doing?"

"Going on and on about not doing anything and how they know shadowhunters. Yeah right," Jace sighed. "Man I hate working arrests. The amount of paperwork involved."

"That's what happens when you break the rules," I said as I put my final seraph blade back. "What case you doing anyway?"

"That yin fen case at (W/Y/L). some downworlder in apartment 8c or something like that." He shrugged.

8c, 8c. it sounded familiar "(Y/N)?"

Jace nodded "Yeah, that's the one. I followed your lead. Man, I feel bad for you having to deal with them."

"What do you mean lead?" I questioned. Fuck, he's just arrested my crush-I mean, uh friend! "Jace, what lead?"

"Chill out Alec." He shrugged "You kept having to question them. Questioning only lasts 4 days. You did it for 2 weeks."

Izzy nodded but with a confused face "Yeah plus you told me you thought they were suspicious."

"I didn't mean to go arrest them! We have no evidence!" Damn it. I only said it to get them off my back. I just was trying to gather the courage to ask them out!

"Alec, its fine. We'll find evidence-"

"No, we won't."

Jace put his hand on my shoulder "Dude, calm done. We'll get the evidence if you think there something there. It's just some annoying downworlder. It's not like they can outsmart a team of shadowhunters."

"Don't say that," I pushed Jace off me. His face filled with shock as he narrowly missed the weapons rack "There not just some downworlder! Plus they wouldn't be 'annoying' if you weren't arresting them for no reason"

"What do you mean no reason?" Izzy asked, "You've been questioning them for two weeks!"

"I like them! Ok?" I snap. Realising what I said I look at the ground. "I was trying to build some confidence or something," I mumbled.

"Alec" Izzy groaned.

"So I just arrested some random downworlder for no reason. ALEC, do you realise how much paperwork that is-"

"Shut up Jace. Theirs more important things than you getting a hand cramp."

"Yeah, like maybe not making the 'criminal' wait forever." My head snaps around to see (Y/N) standing there, arms crossed and a scowl on their face. 

Your POV

"I've been waiting for ages. Can we hurry this up." I spit at the blond who got me here. 

"About that, you're free to go." 

My eyes almost popped out my head "Why am I here in the first place!?" I basically yell.

"Why don't you ask Alec." He threw his hands up and stormed away.

It was only then I realised Alec had been standing there. He was looking at the ground and scratching the back of his neck. "Hey." He muttered.

"Hey?" I ask "You just got me arrested." The girl who had been standing there walked away but not without sending alec a look. "Well, I'm waiting."

"I'm so sorry. Its just I had to lie to Jace so they wouldn't know the real reason why I was going to see you but then they believed me and assumed you were breaking the law." He rambled in one breathe.

"Breathe Alec." He finally looked at me "Now, from the beginning. And slow. Why did you lie, and what about."

He sighed "I wasn't supposed to question you for 2 weeks. Jace was asking why it was taking so long so I lied and said I thought you were involved."

I was trying to wrap my head around this "Okay. But why did you question me for 2 weeks."

"I liked you. But uh I didn't um know how to uh how to tell you. Yeah um, I kinda eh get uh nervous." His face was bright red and he was looking to the floor.

I couldn't help but grin "Really? Couldn't tell." I joked. "Alec you should have just asked." He looked to the floor and rubbed the back of his neck. I sighed "Well I'm going to go home now. See you tomorrow, yeah?"

"Huh?"

"You come over every other night at 8, remember?"

"But you haven't done anything? I don't need to question you."

I sighed and rubbed my forehead "Alec I'm asking you to hang out."

"Oh." Realisation flooded his face and his lips stretched into a huge grin "Yeah, sounds cool. Great even. Uh, see you bye." He quickly rushed off.

I shook my head with a small laugh. He would be the death of me.