Jace*Mundane

My friends constantly questioned me about my boyfriend. When I'd met Jace I never thought to mention him to them, but things got more serious and when he became my boyfriend, I told them. Because they'd never met him, and it was apparently 'so sudden' they didn't believe me.

Jace and I had met while I was working. I'd been the one who'd served him during my shift at the café and thought nothing of it. He'd come in every Thursday at the same time which happened to be the one shift I always worked. One Thursday I was on my break I'd ordered myself some lunch, but the staff room was being redone so I decided to sit in the café. During my break, he walked in and looked confused when he didn't see me. He'd already ordered when he'd spotted me.

Despite never talking to him unless to tell him his total or the specials he walked over to my table. "Is it alright if I sit here?"

"Yeah sure," He sat across from me. "I'm (Y/N),"

"I know," he chuckled, nodding at my name tag. "I'm Jace,"

"I know," I copied, pointing to the coffee cup with his name on it.

We talked for a bit, but my break eventually ended. It started becoming more serious and serious as the weeks went on. He'd come in on Thursdays and stay till my shift ended then we'd go out. I found out Thursday was the only full day he got off worked.

"You ever thought about quitting your job?" I asked one day, "I mean they only give you one full day off and it's a Thursday. Where's the fun in that?"

"I mean its quite flexible. If it's not busy I can go out and stuff,"

"Yeah, but they always end up calling you away. I doubt you get paid enough. What is it you even do?"

Jace looked down for a moment, "It's like-you probably wouldn't get it,"

"Try me,"

"I'm kind of in training. My job is to keep people safe. Make sure everything is where it's supposed to be and when it goes wrong to fix it,"

"So, like a police officer?"

"Kind of. You can't just call up for help. Something serious has to be wrong,"

"Like a detective?" I asked.

He smiled, "Basically yeah. Something like that,"

"Well, in that case, I know you don't get paid enough,"

We began meeting on Thursdays, which I now requested off, and he'd drop by at random times when work let him away. Even if I was in college he'd sneak in, somehow unnoticed despite the tattoos and leather. Honestly, I was surprised no one was drooling over him since I nearly was.

Often times he'd come to hang out in my flat. We'd watch movies, cook food, and rant about life. Though he seemed to be holding back.

Jace had come over tonight, using the spare key I'd gave him, and was ranting about work. "And they're being so overbearing. Like I had to help this girl but since I didn't do it by the book Alec's been on my case the whole time. Plus, Isabelle isn't helping since all she wants to do is skive off and annoy him."

"Who's Alec and Isabelle?" I asked. Normally he just said some guy or girl from work.

"Oh, um my brother and sister," he stuttered out, "haven't I mentioned them?"

"Nope. Don't think so," I said, "I'm sure they mean well. So, do you all do the same job?"

"Basically,"

"So, is this like a family business or...?"

"Yeah," Jace perked up, "yeah it's like a family business which is why it doesn't really have a name,"