Alec*Picnic Date

Alec X male!reader

Warnings: Homophobic slurs and hate speech
Gay = Okay

Happy pride month! And remember shade never made anyone less gay.

Call it cliché but Central Park was Alec and my favourite picnic spot. It was nice to escape the shadow world and its judgment of a gay couple. The love doesn't disappear when theirs not a girl in the relationship. It had started to become more acceptable in the shadow world but with Alec potentially becoming the head of the New York institute when he was older, we didn't want to risk it.
Sure no one would say anything, but the stares got annoying. The sideways glances, the eye rolls, the small scoffs, and patronising attitudes. Some meant well but that doesn't mean they understood. Sometimes the mundane world was more civilised.
So, we packed up a picnic basket and started walking to central park, hand in hand, without being too worried. We'd never dealt with openly homophobic mundane so why wouldn't we? It was natural to hold my boyfriend's hand.
We got to the park and picked a spot under a tree. A playground was a small distance away, but we could barely hear the laughter and squealing so we figured it would be fine. Plus, there was an ice cream van in between the play park and us so all the better.
As I laid out the blanket and began to unpack Alec checked his wallet, "I'm going to grab us a couple ice creams," he said which made me beam. A dopey smile formed on his face, the one I fell in love with. "(Y/F) right?" I nodded, "Be two minutes," Alec pecked my cheek before getting up and heading for the van.
I knew he wouldn't be two minutes. It was June in New York next to a play park on a Saturday. I took the time to set everything up. When it was all set up, taking extra time for it to look cute, I was quite proud. We'd covered every basis with fruits, sandwiches, pastries, and juice. It was Pinterest level stuff.
When I heard footsteps I looked up, smiling ear to ear, expecting Alec. Despite the sun glaring into my eyes I knew it wasn't Alec by the build of the person. Alec was a tall, physically fit, male while what stood in front of me was an older woman who couldn't have been touching 5'2. "Can I help you?"
"Yes," she spoke sharply but with a smile, I didn't trust, "You see my family planned to go to the park for a picnic, but we normally sit here so..." When she didn't finish her sentence, I felt the same dread I felt when I was on a mission.
With squinted eyes and a confused tone, I replied, "You want me to move...?"
"Yes, that would be wonderful," she was about to sit down, and I panicked, eyes glancing over to Alec.
Damn that long line. "Um no sorry but I've already set everything up,"
She glared. A glare so stern and threatening Aldertree would've been shaken, "But my sons in the play park. How am I meant to see him?"
There were so many trees closer to the park not to mention the field of grass around it and picnic benches. "Over there?" I said but it sounded like a question when I pointed to the picnic bench only a few paces from the park.
"But I want to sit here," she said, crossing her arms.
She isn't my mum, I don't care. "Well, I was here first. There are trees over there if you don't like the benches,"
"But- "
"Everything alright?" She was cut off. I'd never been more thankful to see Alec.
"I hardly see how this concerns you," the woman said.
Alec had already sat down and handed me my ice cream, "Well he's my boyfriend and I- "
"What!?" She screeched. "Your gay? And you think the place to show that is at a play park. There are children here for Christ sake!"
My mouth almost dropped. Alec's eyes were wide, and I could see them glazing over. "So what?" he spat out.
"What do you mean so what? There are children here. I don't want my son seeing two homos' being indecent together. I can't have him thinking that's okay,"
"But it is okay," I insisted, finally finding my voice, "please leave us alone."
"Like hell!" she spat but stormed off.
"This isn't going to end well,"
We tried to put it out of our minds but the usual conversation we had was snuffed out by the tension. Some shadowhunters may think it's repulsive or unnatural but they were never so blatant. Just when we were beginning to talk a man walked over, the woman trailing behind with a crying son in her grip.
The boy must've been 6 or 7 but his mother had her hand wrapped around his wrists, not caring about her fake nails. We didn't have time to focus on that because of the man. Beer belly, beer breath, no signs of human decency either. "Hey!" he greeted us with a snarl. "Why've you been disrespecting my wife?"
We didn't want to fight, despite knowing as shadowhunters we'd win, "Lets all just move on and stay out each other's way," Alec said.
"You think a fag can tell me what to do?" We were both stunned, frozen. "Eh? Look what you did to my boy! He's traumatized."
How can love to traumatize someone? The boy was crying but was actually saying "Mummy I wanna go play!" and "Mummy let go! Your nails are sore!"
Alec stood up "Who are you calling a fag?" I quickly followed in standing. Neither of us wanted to fight him. Shadowhunter's aren't in the mundane systems so we couldn't get the mundane police involved.
"You. You little pair of fairies'," the man reached out and pushed Alec as hard as he could.
Alec was caught off guard and stumbled back into me. I steadied us both. "Don't touch me or my boyfriend," I said, pushing my way in front of Alec.
"Brave little fag, are you?" He taunted, "Going to hit me eh?"
"I'm not going to fight you,"
"That's what I thought. All you fags are pathetic," he'd barely said the last word when his fist collided with my face and I began to taste something coppery.
Alec was already storming at the guy, but I pushed him back, "It's not worth it." I said. Alec's breath was ragged but I just wanted out of there.
Alec glared at the man who was smirking still. "You're pathetic." He said before turning to me, "C' mon, let's go," He bent down to start shoving everything back in the basket. I bent down and helped.
As we were doing it, I heard the boy and father speaking but didn't pay much attention. The father and mother then began back to the park. I assumed the boy was with them till I felt someone push my butt, hard.
It threw me off balanced and I went crashing down onto the basket, hitting my head. "ahh!" I couldn't hold back. I turned to see the young boy, tears on his face, looking horrified before running away. I saw the dad hold his arms out to the boy and hug him.
"Disgusting," Alec snarled before looking at me, "Are you okay?" he asked.
"C' mon," I said, defeated, "Let's go."

I'd managed to get a bruise on my head from where I fell on the basket and my lip and mouth was bleeding from the punch. I was smaller than Alec, so it didn't surprise me he went for me over him. Alec had the idea to see Magnus.
When he opened the door, his eyes widened and his usual smile dropped "What happened?" he asked, ushering us in.
I shrugged then sat down and Alec sighed. "We were having a picnic and some guy came up and started harassing (Y/N). he found out we were gay and well here we are." Alec sighed, sitting down next to me. "I-I don't know what to do," He put his hand on my knee and I leant onto his shoulder.
The shadow world didn't have a wealth of knowledge on gay things let alone gay rights. Our bisexual friend was our guide through the LGBT world.
Magnus took a breath, "Its okay. You're here now, that's what matters. But you need to know what happened today was unacceptable and downright vile. If you were mundane, you'd go to the police and file a hate crime but alas you're not. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do as Downworlders or shadowhunters. I know its terrible but the best thing I can suggest is that I know some Downworlders in the police department and I can get them to file a hate crime but forge it, so it doesn't include the victim. I'm sorry,"

Magnus made us realise something, there really wasn't much we could do but that didn't mean we shouldn't try. We waited it out and Alec became head of the New York Institute and I began to work for the clave and in a respected position too. Then we started to have a voice and by the angel are we going to use it.