Alec*Is It A Family Thing To Be Stupid? PT1

Requested via tumblr: Shadowhunters imagine the reader is Jace younger sister who has been away for a long time doing jobs for the Clave and things like that and missions too and stuff like that and the Clave wants someone to get married and all that so Alec and the reader argree to get married to each other 

EDITED VERSION

Being a shadowhunter could either be hectic or boring. There were four main jobs in the shadow world; local missions, desk jockeys, clave member, clave missions. Your status and age typically determine your job. Most shadowhunters work doing local missions and when they get older desk jockeys. The most 'respected' families do local missions then are clave members. When it comes to clave missions the clave picks the most useful and respectable shadowhunters who do local missions regardless of status.
I came from a long line of average people. Basically, all my family did local missions or were desk jockeys. The clave scouts' people from a young age so I was only 10 when they pressured my family to transfer.
Never once did it cross my mind I was being scouted. I was bounced around a few different institutes to test my adaptability. I went to Thailand, Indonesia, London, Japan, and New York to name a few. By the time I was 16 id been to 9 different institutes.
Because I was moved around so much, I had few friends. Eventually, my family was encouraged to not transfer with me, so I was alone most of the year from the age of 15. The friends I did make I did my best to keep in touch with.
Isabelle was the one I kept in touch with the most though. She bought and snuck in a mundane phone so we could text and call. There brother, Alex? Alec? I don't know but he and I never really spoke. He was quiet and I was awkward.
One night when I was I the new york institute Maryse came into my room and quickly got me to gather my stuff. it must've been midnight but I was gone by sunrise. I never knew why. According to Isabelle, a new boy showed up the next day but I never met him.
I was told when I was 16, I was being recruited for clave missions and I wasn't to tell anyone. Naturally, I told Isabelle.
"That's so cool," she said, "You'll get to travel the world and you'll be set for life,"
"How'd you figure that?"
"If they've been tracking you this long there gonna want to keep you comfortable. You'll never be bored again."
She was wrong. It had been 3 years and id only seen her in person twice. I could see my family every year, but this was crazy. "Where are you right now?" Isabelle asked me over the phone.
I sighed and got up from my bed, walking to the window and looking out at the beautiful landscape that bored me, "Milan,"
"You don't sound too excited,"
"Sometimes I wish I'd never been scouted,"
"What?" She said as I began to pace, "Your life is so exciting. I mean before you called, I was listening to Alec and Clary fighting about ice-cream flavours,"
"I never get to do stuff like that. I'm never anywhere long enough to make friends and most people have given up on me. You're the only one that still reaches out. Its always mission this or mission that. I don't get holidays and my life's packed in one bag because they might move me in the middle of the night. Its-its not worth it Iz,"
"Can't you ask to be transferred back to local missions?"
"Maybe but id need to go to Idris for that,"
"We're going there! Alec got called in by the clave, so we'll be there like next week. If you're not happy you need to tell them,"
"Yeah. I'll think about it." And I did. What's wrong with asking?

"No," Welp that was simple. "Why wouldn't you want to do clave missions?"
"It's too busy. I want a break,"
The head boss of my company's decision was a grumpy old man who still thought he was tough. He lifted an eyebrow, "You're a shadowhunter. You get a break when you're dead. Did you know your work helps keep all of us alive? Without your job demons would be able to slip through the gaps. Do you want that?"
"No, but- "
"But nothing," he cut me off. "Theirs only two ways out of this job; death and marriage. And if you ask me those things are the same," damn. No wonder he was grumpy.
"How am I meant to get married when you don't leave me in one place long enough to find someone?" I snapped. The faint smirk on his face painted a pretty picture, "You can't make me do missions,"
"You signed a contract. Marriage or death. Those are your two options" I glared at him, "Close the door on your way out,"
I was pissed. I was 16 when I signed that contract without my parents even knowing. The only silver lining was that I was to stay in Idris for a week on my annual leave. I wasn't allowed to leave encase something popped up.

As soon as I found Isabelle, I told her everything. She was staying with some family friends and was left home alone as Alec went to a clave meeting and Jace and Clary snuck off to a dark corner. "That's bull!" She said as she passed me the ice-cream.
"I know! How am I meant to find a husband when I can barely keep a friend?"
Our conversation was cut short by Alec storming in, slamming the door behind him. "What happened?" Isabelle called after him.
He stopped and sighed. "Stupidity. Stupidity happened," he glanced at me but continued anyway, "You know how everyone thought id be head of the institute because I've basically been it for years?" Isabelle nodded, "Well apparently I'm not suitable because I'm not 'adult' enough. I'm 21! I can drink, have kids, buy a car, do anything adulty I want. But not apparently adults have families and partners and houses and ugh!" Alec marched over to where we were sitting at the dining room and Isabelle passed him the ice-cream tub. He was quick to take a spoonful, "Plus now," he said through ice-cream, "I've to teach the new head how to do his job,"
Isabelle looked between us two. "Izzy," I warned, "don't do it,"
"Why don't you two get married?"

After a long explanation by Isabelle and us questioning her mental stability, Isabelle left us two to 'talk'. "I love your sister, but she is crazy,"
"She does have a point," My eyes bulge at his words, "I mean we wouldn't stay married. Divorce is a thing,"
"So, is it a family thing to be stupid or...?"
Alec rolled his eyes, "If we got married, we could run the New York Institute for like a year then one of us cheats, break up, divorce, boom. Then you're out of your contract and I have the institute."
"Wouldn't they force us to go back to how it is now?"
"Fine, we stay together and see other people then get a divorce once one of us wants to get married. It's not like we'll be exclusive in this fake marriage thing,"
"Can I think about it?"