Raphael Santiago*Heart Problems

A/N: Requested via tumblr

"Hurry up, we're going to be late," Alec huffed, turning his back on the group.
Jace rolled his eyes "Yeah we know. We still need to drop (Y/N) off first,"
Alec stopped and turned to them, "You can't be serious. We're meant to have a meeting about Simon with the vampires and you're making us late because the redhead, mundane, and you went out for MacDonald's,"
"First of all, its McDonalds," (Y/N) stepped forward, correcting the archer, "Second of all we were late because you told Jace half 5 then showed up at 5. Thirdly we have names," (Y/N) indicated between themselves and Clary who stood awkwardly, arms crossed, "And last but not least you shadowhunters have a duty of care over us mundies, meaning you probably shouldn't take me into a vamp den,"
"Then why did you come?" Alec groans.
(Y/N) smirked "To annoy you. And I came this far because after Simon was turned the clave thought I was high risk and need shadowhunter protection. So...yeah. Either walk me home or I'll wait outside,"
Surprisingly Alec gave up and said (Y/N) and Izzy could wait outside. (Y/N) because they were mundane, Izzy because vampires weren't subtle about their stares and she was his little sister. "Is he always so uptight?" (Y/N) asked Izzy, leaning against the alley wall.
Izzy smirked "Always. You get used to it,"
"How? I think I saw him smile once. And it was when Clary accidentally locked herself in the training room for an hour,"
The shadowhunter pursed her lips, humming in thought, "Now you mention it he was particularly happy that day," the two opposites shared a laugh and tried to have a conversation. Having grown up completely differently and with no similar hobbies meant that topics were hard to find.
When Izzy brought up, she knew how to do a handstand, balancing on a sword, (Y/N) insisted she does it. it was quiet, calm, and a meeting was going on. The vampires were likely listening into the meeting or keeping an eye on the shadowhunters inside. Beside Izzy was a shadowhunter, it's not like they were unarmed.
5 cold fingers wrapped around (Y/N)'s neck, an arm wrapping around their midriffed in an iron cold grip. A yelp left their mouth. Izzy in a moment of rare iconic lightwood clumsiness stumbled as she stood from the handstand, partly due to the difference from a normal handstand and her fondness of high heels. She had no time to react before a vampire held Izzy in a similar way.
There was one more vamp who took the liberty of tying (Y/N)'s wrists together in front of them with rope and putting black metal handcuffs on the shadowhunter. From the time Izzy dismounted her handstand to being held captive had been mere seconds.
The shadowhunter and mundane locked eyes, "Fuck,"

Izzy's eyes screwed shut when her brother saw her being walked in by vampires, "We found one boss," the vampire who'd tied them up announced, in a stereotypical Brooklyn accent.
Raphael raised an eyebrow, "Care to explain?" he asked the untied shadowhunters.
They shared a look, "She was..." Alec tried to explain without saying they'd lead a mundane into the lion's den.
"Where's (Y/N)?" Clary cut them off.
"You just can't be quiet, can you?" Alec mumbled. It went heard but not acted on.
"(Y/N)?" Raphael asked. "This meeting was between us. You brought valentines daughter against our terms and we allowed it. now another shadowhunter and whoever this (Y/N) is. What's next?"
"We're sorry for the intrusions," Jace tried to explain but was cut off.
"I don't fall for shadowhunter charms. You broke a contract. Whose (Y/N)?"
"A mundane," Clary said before anyone could stop her. All the shadowhunters cringed, "I shouldn't have said that should I?" Clary mumbled to Jace. He shook his head in agreement.
Raphael let out a cold chuckle "You brought a mundane here. To a vampire den. With fledglings and hungry vampires. Are you actually just stupid?" He didn't let them explain themselves and turned to a vampire, "George, get the mundane. Make sure they aren't dead would you," it wasn't an option.
Raphael continued their meeting as though there had been no interruption until George got back. "Sorry for taking so long. Sam didn't want to part ways," (Y/N) was dragged in, quite literally.
George held the rope tying their wrists and dragged them into the middle of the room, letting them go and flop to the floor. (Y/N) rolled and moved to sit up, glaring at Raphael. Raphael looked right back, cocked eyebrow and annoying grin, "This is no way to treat a lady. Untie her. Would you like something to drink as an apology? I believe we might have some old mundane drinks," He said as George untied (Y/N)'s restraints.
"Favouritism" Izzy mumbled. Raphael sent her a look but chose to move on.
(Y/N) stood from the floor, arms crossed, "No. I'm good,"
"If you insist," Raphael said, walking closer, "We vampires are old souls. You were dealt with by young, inexperienced vampires with no sense of chivalry. It won't happen again," (Y/N) nodded in response but said nothing. "This meeting is over," He said, not taking his eyes off (Y/N), "Simon can come here every other day at midnight for lessons. If he misses one, we ignore him. We'll get him his blood." Finally, he took his eyes off the mundane, looking at the shadowhunters, "And I don't expect to smell angel blood for a long time,"

Although everyone was confused by Raphael's and (Y/N)'s interaction, (Y/N) didn't mind. We'll too much. In fact, often (Y/N) would walk with Simon to his lessons as she passed the hotel on her way home. Over time she'd stop in and say hello. It turned into when she walked home, she'd stop in without Simon.

Somehow a mundane and a vampire began to date. Turns out chivalry is just undead. (Y/N) began to just go the hotel because she wanted to see him, and he began to make sure everyone understood not to mess with her.
As long as the vampires were fully fed before her arrival (Y/N) was relatively well received by the vampires after a while. However, Raphael still preferred to be alone with (Y/N).
Partly due to his age and the dumort subpar electricity there were no televisions in the dumort. However, Raphael did have an old record player and a couch. (Y/N) and Raphael, after a long day, ended up cuddling on the couch. Something Raphael thought he'd never do. She didn't even mind his cold skin or lack of breath.
They lay there, unmoving, listening to the old records. Eventually, the disc stopped, and it was silent. Raphael knew it would be daylight outside despite no open windows. It was partly because of that he felt bad that (Y/N) was asleep. Being together had changed her sleep patterns but she insisted she didn't mind.
Raphael hadn't had a heartbeat for decades. He forgot what it was like for it to miss a beat through fear or love or for the hot feeling of blush pinching your cheeks. Raphael listened to (Y/N)'s heart only for the first time.
Normally he could tell it was beating but paid no attention. Normally they talked or were doing something, so he got distracted but now he was just listening. It brought a small smile to his face listening to the faint slow thump of her heart as she slept.
Thump....thump.....thump.....thu.thump.thu.thu.thump
Raphael partly sat up abruptly, matching her heart. (Y/N) shifted slight but didn't wake up.
Thump.thump. thump....thump.....thunp.....thump.
Back to normal? Raphael questioned. He decides to lay back down and ignore it. for the next few days, he paid extra close attention to her heart, sometimes tuning her out by accident.

Raphael had stopped groaning everyone he heard Simon clatter into his hotel and into his space for his lessons. Instead, it was a light roll of the eyes. mid-eye-roll Simon said, "You know you're killing her right?" Raphael sat his book down, eyebrow raised, "Don't give me that look. You've been ignoring (Y/N) meaning she'd been complaining to me about you. I love her but I'm not listening to her complain. Fix it." Simon crossed his arms.
Raphael tossed his book away, standing from his couch, "I haven't been ignoring (Y/N). you're insane,"
"Nope. Not what I've heard. Whenever she asks you a question you either don't answer or need it to be repeated. Apparently, it's like you're not even there,"
"I hadn't noticed," Raphael looked away.
"What gives man?"
Raphael cringed at his language, still not used to how people talk now. "Nothing. It's just...right this makes me sound creepy, but does she have some form of an issue because I swear hearts don't beat like that!" Raphael ranted. It surprised him and Simon. He'd not been able to ask anyone, and he needed an answer, "Well do they?"
"Um," Simon rubbed his forehead "Maybe. I dunno. I mean I've noticed her heart sounds different. She did have to leave school for a lot of doctor's appointment last year. Maybe ask her," Simon suggested, "Saves her worrying you know?"
Raphael nodded "Um okay. Well, guess we should start...."

When (Y/N) showed up to the dumort Raphael just asked, "Are you okay?"
"Huh?"
He sighed "Your heart sounds different. I didn't pick up on it. Simon said you went to the doctors a lot- "
"You talked to Simon?" (Y/N) cut him off. "Why?"
"He said I was ignoring you," he sighed, standing up and walking to (Y/N), resting his hands on her arms "And I'm not. I'm just worried."
She groaned "I told him not to tell you. And yeah sometimes it's like your away with the fairies. But I'm not at risk. You don't need to worry,"
Raphael raised an eyebrow "Your heart randomly speeds up and beats in weird rhythms. I may be undead but even I know hearts don't beat like that,"
She sighed and sat down, Raphael joining her on the sofa. "I've got Supraventricular tachycardia aka SVT." Raphael's face contorted into confusion, "I know. It's a mouthful. Basically, sometimes my heart beats faster than normal. It's okay. You don't need to worry unless I get chest pains or feel dizzy during an attack. It's okay, really,"
"You promise? Raphael asks, hesitant and shy.
(Y/N) smiled lightly "Promise," she linked his pinkie, ignoring his eyeroll, and kissed him, "Pinkie promise." He smiled and bumped her shoulder with his own, both grinning. Her grin dropped "But I swear if you don't listen to me when I speak, we're gonna have issues,"