Raphael*Ramble

Requested via tumblr

Shadowhunter imagine the reader is a Lightwood Alec and Izzy younger sister and she is reading her novel at the Down world hang out restaurant which is what the young Lightwood is known for is her love for her novels and books and Raphael comes in and sits w/ her and they discus and talk about her novel that's she's reading and Alec comes in and runes the moment and stuff and it embarrasses the reader and he yells at the reader for hanging out w/ Raphael and the reader yells back.

Shadowhunters just don't take enough time to sit down and just breath. Let your hair down, relax a little, and enjoy the peace. With a job that fast-moving and ever-changing sometimes you need to sit down and calm down.

Isabelle said I'd understand when I was older the joys of spending your free time in a club or having a drink, but I doubt it. Alec was all convinced that training could be made fun and the occasional drink in a quiet bar was the best ending to the week. Frankly, I think they're nuts.

Max and I were close, Alec and Isabelle were close, neither pair really understood the other. While max and I enjoyed reading the older two enjoyed activities. My free time is not for hiking nor for drinking. It's for books.

At first, my parents encouraged it seeing I was reading which was learning until my mum actually read one of the blurbs. "What's sci-fi?" then I had to explain.

Sure, they knew I was reading fiction, but they didn't love the mundane fiction I had been picking up from 2nd hand shops and clearance bins. They reluctantly let it go, more concerned with max reading manga, and one of the best presents they got me was a library card to the New York public library. Yeah, I'm that type of sad.

I was easily the quietest lightwood but when people did notice me, I had a novel in hand. Call me weird but it was just too quiet in the institute to read. I need at least a little background noise. The New York library was the same, plus clearly, they didn't appreciate a runed up teenager ruining their 'aesthetic'.

Downworlders cafes were the best option. Partly because the few, but close, friends I had were Downworlders and partly because the food was better. When the chef is a hundred and sixty years old and has been cooking since he was a teenager the foods pretty delicious.

"Usual (Y/N)?" Hayley the cashier asked me. I awkwardly nodded as I fished out my wallet. You know that weird thing where you know someone, and they know you, but you don't actually know each other? All I knew about Haley was that she was a werewolf and normally worked the evening shift on Mondays and Thursdays, the days I come in, for at least the past 3 months. And all she knows about me is I come in at the same time on Mondays and Thursdays and get the exact same thing each time. Honestly, I don't even know how she knows my name.

My work was normally done around dinner time so I would eat dinner at home and come here. My goal was to leave as the sun was setting since it began to get busy with drunks and vampires. I didn't mind vampires, but vampires and drunk werewolves are a headache.

It was easy to get a seat and even easier to jump right back into my novel. This morning, Mid chapter might I add, I was rushed away from the Fahrenheit 451 to a mission and a grumpy Alec.

My eyes swam in a sea of words and stories. I had never really gotten into the mundane classics, but this book seemed to have a grasp on me. When I finally came upon a slight break, even though I was desperate to read, I forced my eyes off the book.

I sat it down with a sigh, the satisfying feeling of reading washing over me as I looked to my food. I had finished my drink through constant sippage but noticed how my bagel was mostly untouched. As I picked up my bagel someone cleared their throat. I looked up and froze in my awkwardness, "Want a refill?"

That wasn't Haley. I nodded, looking at the washed-out skin on the new waitress. She gave me a smile and took my cup to the refill station. I blinked a few times and looked around noticing the new clientele; vampires. I looked outside and inwardly groaned as I saw the sun was all the way down. Damn winter nights!

I smiled as I was handed back my mug, trying not to be awkward and probably failing. I couldn't not have this now. I'd asked for it. I began eating my bagel and sipping on my drink only now noticing the looks I was getting from my runes. Out of instinct, I shrugged my hoodie on.

"Cold?" I almost jumped out of my seat at the voice.

I looked up and it wasn't much better as a guy was standing next to my table, "Just a little," I said after a moment too long. His face was unreadable.

His eyes fell onto my book and a small smile tugged at his lips. "You've got taste," he said, "Can I sit?"

"Um yeah sure," I said, not knowing what to do, "You've read it?"

He hummed a yes, "It gets boring sitting around all day, waiting for night. Thankfully winters here so we'll have more time,"

"Yeah, summer must suck for you," I said, only now realising it literally trapped them inside all day. He nodded but I still wondered, "So um what do you want exactly?" I asked, noticing how many empty seats there were.

"You probably think I'm some weirdo," he said through an awkward laugh, "Most of my well not friends but kind of friends, anyway, most of them don't read so when I saw you with one of my favourite books I don't know I kind of wanted to talk but then you know-" he sighed, looking down ,"and now I'm rambling,"

I couldn't help but grin a little, "Its alright. I'd be the same if someone asked me about harry potter,"

"I've heard about that. Is it any good?"

My mouth almost dropped. "You haven't read harry potter?" he shook his head, "Oh my- right listen because this is some serious stuff right here," queue me rambling on about my favourite book, "And now I'm rambling," I cut myself off.

Raphael grinned, "where are you in your book?" he asked, nodding to the book.

I had never had a friend to gush about over books, not really. tv shows, movies, real people, sure, but never books. We talked about favourite characters, plot points, that one bitch who needs to calm down. Everything.

"And of course, my favourite character- "as I was mid-sentence my face fell.

"Are you okay?" My new friend asked.

"He's gonna kill me," I slunk down in my seat in an attempt to hide.

Alec stormed over "For a shadowhunter, you're crap at hiding," he glared, "And why are you hanging out with Raphael?"

"Whose Raphael?" I asked.

"Me," the boy across from me said with a smile before turning to ' with an eye roll, "Hello shadowhunter,"

"Stay away from (Y/N)." Alec snapped.

"Who?" Raphael said.

"Me," I mimicked him.

Raphael chuckled but Alec scowled "You didn't even know his name? right, that's enough to get up. Now,"

"But maybe (Y/N) doesn't want to," Raphael said.

I sighed, "No I should go," as I stood up, scrambling to pull out a tip. "See you around- "

"Or not," Alec cut me off, stalking away.

'Sorry' I mouthed as I followed Alec. I hadn't even realised I forgot to grab my book off the table.