Jace*Insecure

A/N: I'll be posting an Alec X male! Reader version as well.

Requested by TessZak a very long time ago. So sorry for taking over a year. I'll be going over the requests in my inbox first then go through the comments for any I missed.

Also, don't be insecure. You're probably beautiful. Maybe not to yourself at this current moment but someone at some point past, present, or future, will think you're pretty cute and hopefully, you think that too,

Jace X female! Reader

I was used to going to a mundane high school with my friends Clary and Simon were everyone was human and had flaws. I was never to most confident person and I had my moments of self-consciousness, but I could deal with it.
Being a girl didn't help. Simon could inhale a canteen and loss weight and if I stood too close to an apple I seemed to gain weight. Clary had always been on the skinny side but even she had some left-over baby fat.
Then things went south.
Clary became a shadowhunter and Simon was a vampire while I stayed mundane, and quite happily too. At first I never really got involved since Valentine never cared about me and it was safer to stay out of it. but for whatever reason Sebastian had decided he needed me to get what he wanted. I narrowly avoided kidnapping before shadowhunters took me into protective custody, telling my parents it was an out of state scholarship.
Id noticed Clary had got in shape, like really in shape, after becoming a shadowhunter. Simon also had his own glow up when he became a vampire. It never really bothered me. well not too much. However now living in the institute it did.
Shadowhunters worked out constantly. It was almost unheard for a shadowhunter to be overweight. Those who were had retired or had been severely injured. Young female shadowhunters were supposed to be fit and healthy.
Even the Downworlders I met were slim. Warlocks had centuries to perfect workouts, vampires didn't eat food, werewolves gained muscle quickly, and the fae were magical and could look however they wanted. I was mundane.
Standing in front of a mirror, I tore down every part of myself. Everything had been calm recently so we'd planned a night out, and Izzy had planned my outfit. I may like Izzy, but I certainly don't have her body or confidence.
This tight, pale blue, bodycon dress with no belt wasn't my style. I kept looking over myself in the mirror, the opposite of vain. My stomach looked pudgy in this dress and my things felt like they were gonna rip the seams. I ran my hand over my stomach as there was a knock on the door.
"You coming?" Jace asked, coming in without waiting. He stopped, paused, swallowed, then said "Nice dress,"
"I'm gonna change," I sighed. I knew what that meant. The dress was nice, I was the problem.
I saw his face screw up in the mirror, "I didn't mean anything like that. It's nice, I just didn't expect it," he said.
Looking through my wardrobe, I shrugged, "It's whatever," I told him, grabbing an oversized band tee and jeans.
Jace walked over "C' mon you look great. Honest,"
"Jace, I told you I'm changing. I'm fine, really," I tried pushing him out the room.
Jace folded his arms and there was no way I could move him, "(Y;/N), c' mon. You look amazing. Theirs no need to change,"
I rolled my eyes with a sigh, "Jace I'm not an idiot. I'm a heavy girl, I shouldn't be wearing a bodycon anyway,"
His face screwed up, "Who in the hell told you that?" he asked. He grabbed my top and jeans and chucked them on my bed, "You look perfect. In that dress or in anything else. So, what you're not a stick? Your body's amazing,"
"Really? How are you gonna tell me my body's 'perfect'?" I used air quotes, folding my arms, "You're a shadowhunter Jace. You're all slim and fit. Literally perfection. Someone like Isabelle or Clary is meant to wear this, not me,"
"How? How can you say that?" he asked with a tinge of sadness, "Being in shape doesn't make you automatically hot. Plenty of huge girls are hot. Clothes are designed for people, not bodies. Sure, Isabelle or Clary could wear it but nothing stopping you,"
"Jace," I sighed, "I'm not wearing this so we can go out and everyone's going to stare at a crowd of hot shadowhunters and a joint of ham stuffed in a dress. No way,"
"Who gives a fuck what other people say? And if they stare it's gonna be because you look amazing in that dress. And if anyone tries anything or says anything they're not going to be able to see anything for a few weeks." Jace said, trying to convince me. I turned away from him and looked into the mirror, but he stood behind me, "What I see in that mirror is two people. And quite frankly we both look hot as hell,"
"Cocky much?" I try and joke.
"Yup," he grinned, "I have a right to be. And so, do you," when he saw my lack of reaction he went over to my bed and grabbed my blanket before putting it over the mirror, covering it. "How'd you feel now?" I shrugged, "We're our own worst critics. Now c' mon, we're holding everyone up," Jace grabbed my hand and led me out my room before I could stop him.
As we were walking through the corridors I felt so embarrassed, like everyone was looking at me. when I actually looked no one was. Well, some were but I disliked their stares for other reasons. Jace glared at one of the guys staring at me and he got the hint.
When we finally met up with everyone else Jace dropped my hand "What took so long?" Alec asked.
Jace looked at me before answering, "Had to fix my hair. Sorry,"
Isabelle rolled her eyes, "Wow, someone's vain," Jace only grinned in response. Isabelle turned to me, eyes scanning my outfit. She nodded, "Told you. Looks fabulous," she grinned, turning on her heels and leading the group, "Come on, I need a drink,"
We chuckled at her antics but did follow. That night was actually fun. Clary, Simon, and I talked about growing up mundane compared to Alec, Izzy, and Jace and they all talked about the presser put on them. We drank, had fun, played pool, and I didn't even think about how I looked.
I offered to get the next round and Jace followed to help me. as we waited for the drinks he asked, "Glad you wore the dress?"
I shrugged, "Suppose so. It's actually pretty comfy,"
He nodded with a told you so grin, "Well just between us," he said, grabbing the tray of now complete drinks, "I'm pretty glad you wore it too. Hot as hell," Jace winked before going back to our friends. I stood frozen for a second, "Coming?" he asked, smirking with a raised eyebrow.
"Ye-yeah," I stuttered, cheeks flushing as I followed him. I'm not going to say what happened later that night, but I didn't wear the dress for long.