Revenge PT1

A/N: Well...um...hey...its been a while? At this point should I promise anything? But, you know, Happy New Years!

"Kill the hunters!" The crowd roared as men clad in black were dragged onto the makeshift stage. The wood creaked under their movement, but the crowd released something inside us. My heart thudded as fast as a hummingbird, a grin on my face.

The stands were set up in fours; one for the vampires, one for the werewolves, one for the fae, and one for the warlocks. We were all getting our revenge. "Ready?" Someone cried to the crowd, the faces all a blur.

Their cheers were deafening, drowning out the shadowhunters pleads as their heads were shoved through the loop of the rope. We took our places besides our trophies. I could hold my head high for the warlocks. For all the lives they took, all the pain they caused, just a little taste back. That thought helped drown out his voice, his pleads.

It didn't drown out the woman's cry. My eyes were drawn to the woman screaming out for her husband as she was held back by Downworlders. The sky was dark, and the fires did nothing but put a layer of smoke over us, but I saw her face clear.

"On three!" It sounded like I was underwater. The woman looked back. "One," I took a step back, "Two," My hand rested on the lever. There was no silence between the countdown, just noise. She was saying something. It didn't matter, I couldn't hear. My grin faltered as I saw her face crumple. "Three!" I paused.

Thud

Thud

Thud

Briefly between the sound of the crowd's last breath to the thud of shadowhunters I waited. The woman's face twitched, something came over her.

Thud

Her husband dropped. There was twitching in the corner of my eye, but she was the apple of it. Fear, pain, acceptance, hope, devastation. How do they like it? The air tasted good that night.

It was a massacre. The high turned to a bone-crushing fall. Damien started making his own laws. 'we need to keep order' his words rang in my head. We did this to get away from their laws. We did this for the Downworlders. Then we started hanging Downworlders, just for associating with shadowhunters. It was time for a meeting.

"The warlocks have raised some...concerns?" Damien opened the meeting, sitting amongst the werewolves as he pretended, we were one.

All eyes fell on me. Fair enough. Instead of secret meetings in bedrooms and inn houses, we were sat in an official meeting hut. It was mundane. I looked around before standing up, "We're becoming the shadowhunters," I said.

A murmur rose in the hut. Damien let the chat linger though his eyes remained fixed on mine before he raised his hand to silence them. "And how do you figure that when we don't kill the innocent?"

"Because were killing Downworlders," I took a step into the middle of the hut, ignoring the chatter, "Killing them for talking to shadowhunters, helping them. Were supposed to punish the shadowhunters, not wipe them out! Unless you want to protect the mundanes?"

All eyes were darting between Damien and I. Damien looked away for a moment, "Do we really need mundanes?"

"Need mundanes?" I laughed, "Were will the vampire's feed? Where will you get recruits?! they're a vital part of our magic system! Probably the fae as well. We can't just kill off another group."

"There are other ways to get by,"

"You're thinking short term. you have years, decades. I, we, have centuries ahead of us!"