Alec*Happiness

A/N: How would you feel if I only did or mainly did imagines?

Staring at my ceiling, silence surrounding, I decide to take a drive and take my mind off things. As I drive I glance around and my heart stops as I drive past Taki's. slowing my car down, I park in the back corner.

I leave my keys in the ignition but stare into the car park, near the restaurant. I can remember this place all too well. First date. Alec was hesitant but I convinced him it wasn't bad. We ended up coming here too often to go back. Now it's over.

Flinching, I turn my keys as I see Maia waving to me, becoming me to come in. I put it in drive and speed off.

I'm able to let out a breath as I get on the road. But since we'd normally walk there were memories attached to everything. A bar, a thrift shop, an arcade, a food stand that probably gave us food poisoning. I almost smile at the memory.

Pulling into a bar whose names so worn off on the sign I don't even know it, I get out the car. I'm able to breathe free as I order a drink. a man at the end of the bar nods at me. I raise my glass slightly but don't move.

He does and soon he's next to me at the bar. I'm not over Alec but trying is important. Apparently. It's going okay despite my slight cold shoulder. "Alec" I'm cut off mid-sentence as someone joins the man.

"What-what's your name?" I ask, cheeks red.

"Alex?" He says, tone concerned. "You okay?"

"Um yeah sorry. Thought you um, never mind. I need to go...let my cat out," Rushing out the bar, not even caring about his confused look. I barely manage to drive in a straight line, but I make it home, flopping on my bed.

Doing what all heartbroken people do I go to stalk him online. But he's not online. Stupid shadowhunters. Instead, I settle for old photos and texts. Its midnight when I finish the text thread.

I click on Izzy's and see the last few texts. He's okay. You'll find someone. I love you but you need to try to move on. He's not alone. You need to find someone too.

How can he be alright? I ask myself. All the memories, battles, days-months-years even. You don't forget. The side of my bed is cold and empty but is he feeling just as lonely. I hope not. I want him to be happy but is happiness hurts. Maybe that's what happiness is. Hurting yourself for someone with no gain.

Wow, I almost laugh at myself. Lame. I go to turn the light off and crawl into bed, trying to think happy thoughts. "So cynical," I whisper to myself.

Waking up the next morning feels like death. I can't even bother wiping the eye goo that's crusted in my tear duct. Hair a mess, pj's on, I go and make some toast. As I butter the toast I spot the coffee machine.

"Do you ever make your own coffee?" Alec chuckles as I take the cup from his head, sitting on the counter. I shrug, "I should start making backups,"

I hum in agreement, "I mean I pay rent,"

"Because you said 'I don't need your money' a-"

"I don't," I said, inhaling the caffeine.

He rolls his eyes, grabbing his own mug, "Whatever," he leans against the bunker and looks at me, "If I made coffee..."

"...I'll make eggs," I grumble, jumping off the counter, "Your lucky I love you,"

"I know," 

Stupid coffee. He made it every morning. I shake my head, "Get yourself together," I whisper, going and unplugging the machine before putting it in some random cupboard "caffeine's bad for you anyway,"

Nah, screw that. I quickly dress before heading out for a coffee from Costa. Gotta love the Mundanes, they do make a pretty good cuppa.

As I sit in the corner of the coffee shop, drinking my coffee and playing on my phone, I hear the bell. Not really caring who comes in I didn't look up. Everything's going well but I decide to head to the bathroom and as I walk I bump into someone, almost making them spill their drinks.

I turn on my heels to face them, "I am so sorry-" I'm cut off by his silence "...Alec," he nods and looks away. "I-um, bye," instead of going to the bathroom I quickly go back to my table, grabbing my stuff and leaving a tip on the table.

I'm already out the door when I hear, "Wait!" I walk faster, "Come on (Y/N)," with a grimace I stop and turn, "Thank you,"

"What?"

He looks down for a moment before finally meeting my eyes, "Look we've been friends for years," I nod. "Close friends, best even," maybe it's a good thing I stopped, I tell myself. Okay, calm doesn't show it. "So, I don't want to lose that," I'm forced to suppress a huge smile, "I know I broke things off," Yes? "But can we, um can we still be friends?"

"What?" I deadpan, more deflated than a balloon.

"I know it's weird but you're my best friend. I don't wanna lose that just because we fell out of love,"

You did. "Of course," I say, mentally kicking myself.

He lets out a sigh of relief, "Thank the angel. I know its gonna be weird but it's us. We're a team. Besides we all know you can find someone better," he nudges my arm. I smile but say nothing, "Let me get us coffee,"

I nod and follow him back to the shop, "So...you found anyone better?"

A grin forms on his face, "Yeah. Well, no offense. His names Magnus..." I smile as he talks about his boyfriend, nodding and chiming in once or twice.

"What about you?" Alec asks, "Any lucky fellow?"

I grin, looking down to hide the watery eyes, "Nah," I said lifting my head "Happy being single"

"Here's to happiness," Alec raises his mug.

"Cheers to that," I say.

Fuck happiness.