Welcome Home

"uh," I groan and squeeze my eyes shut as sunlight blinds me in my bed. The shrill ringing of my phone is still going on. I roll over and lazily feel around for it before turning the alarm and prying my eyes open to see the time. 4:23 am. Uhh.
I fling my phone somewhere and curl back up. Why am I getting up at 4 anyway? Wait, "Is it..?" this time I actually sit up and grab my phone, "It is. I'm late!" flying the covers off, I run to my wardrobe and stuff on jeans and a jumper over my pajama top.
Grabbing the first suitcase, I begin cramming all my clothes inside, flinging my shoes in as well with some non-breakables. Suitcase 2. I sweep everything off my shelves and out of my drawers into my suitcase. mi not stupid so I save all my souvenirs and breakables for my backpack.
Glancing over at my desk I sigh. I don't even pay attention to what papers I'm gathering as I try to make them neat enough to fit in a folder then in my bag. Finally done.
The clock reads 4:56 here. Okay, this is fine. I double check for loose ends and when I'm sure I stand in the doorway and look over the room. This was-had been my room for the past year. I'd grown accustomed to it, loved it even. Despite its faults and culture shocks.
As I walk along the hallways for the last time I nod to the few awake at 5 am. Most people awake were night shift desperate for a bed. They give me smiles and nods in returns, even a few goodbyes. I quickly duck into the kitchen.
Hayato was hunched over the coffee maker. An older man with greying hair and wrinkles deep in his forehead and in his smile lines. He was always smiling, a good thing really as he was my mentor, "Morning," I said. He rolled his eyes and scrunched his lip up to his nose, "Or evening," I laugh.
"I'm 58, I shouldn't still do the night shift," Despite his grumbles, he pours me a mug as well, "Here,"
"I should really be going; I only came for..." I trailed off knowing id sound stupid.
He raised an eyebrow, "Your mug? It's in the cupboard," he smirks at my red face, "Nothing wrong with being a little sentimental," I shrug as I grab the 'I heart NY' mug my friends had given me before leaving.
"See you later," Hayato didn't say goodbyes.
He nodded, grabbing something from the cupboard, "For your collection," he added as I took the box. "Open it later." I nodded and left.
I don't bump into anyone else as I head to the portal. We said goodbye last night. When I get their Kaori was waiting, "It was good to have you,"
I smile, "Good to be here."
Normally her hair was pinned back but she left it down for once, a waterfall of ink down her back, "if you ever need anything just send word,"
"Same goes,"
She grins, "Okay go. You're missing them after all,"
I take a quick breath before stepping through the portal. I hate portalling. You feel weightless and there's always the chance of getting stuck.
My eyes open to a sight and a half. All the stations were filled with people silently doing their work, like a perfect machine. Frightening. But New York had always been like this.
When I didn't see any of them I began to retrace the hallways. Sure, it was a little different but also the same. It was dinner time here and it smelled like takeaway.
The dining room was filled with quiet chatter. It used to be before I was even alive, that a cook would make the food for everyone and the dining room would always be filled. It's different though. Maybe 10 to 20 people are in here.
Tony and David, two older men sit up at the top of the table playing cards like always and drinking a pint. Tony had been my teacher so when he saw me he nodded but cards were important. A group of pencil-pushing 30-year olds sat at one table, no one attempting to talk to them, eating their food while talking about work.
About halfway down the middle table was a group of 4 teens. I leave my suitcases at the door and walk over. I drop my bag into the crook of my right elbow, silently. Moving silently without notice is one area of being a shadowhunter I always excelled at.
I dropped the bag next to a chair, grabbed a chip off someone's plate, and sat down, "So what's the gossip?" I ask.
They all turn to me, "(Y/N)!" Alec smiles, arms pulling me into a hug, "I didn't think you were back today,"
"It was a secret," I laugh as he finally realizes me.
"Stop hogging (Y/N)," Izzy whines, forcing me to sit in between her and Alec and across from Jace. "I missed you," she says, hugging me as well.
I let out a breath and look at Jace, "hey,"
"Hey," He said plainly before we both burst out laughing. He stands up gesturing me to do the same. Despite the table making it awkward we sort of hug over the table.
I plonk back down, sliding Alec's plate my way, "Ah breakfast," I grin. Alec rolls his eyes and moves his plate in-between us so we can share. "And this is..?"
"Clary, (Y/N). (Y/N), Clary," Jace introduces us.
Holding my hand out to her, "Hello. I'm the loveable one of the groups," she laughs, and I grin and shake her hand.
"I'm lovable," Isabelle says.
"Same here," Jace joins in.
Rolling my eyes, "Isabelle, I may love you but your lustable, not lovable," She smirks as Alec chokes on his food. "And as for Jace," he grins, "you're a prick." The table laughs.
Before Jace starts a fight Alec cuts in, "How was Japan?" And so, I began recounting my tale. Obviously making it more interesting.
"But that's boring," I say after telling the tale of Hayoto and I fighting this rare Japanese demon. My friends roll their eyes but clary's impressed. This would be fun, "What's happened here?"
By the end of it I'm staring at clary, mouth gaping, "So you've been here for two months got your friend turned into a vampire, starting going with Jace-" She went to protest but I continued due to his arm being around her shoulder, "brought valentine back, and became a shadowhunter? No offense but please don't plan my return party. I don't think I could handle that,"
"Technically she didn't bring Valentine back," Jace said.
"Is now really time for technically?" I ask, "And besides I think the biggest issue is I wasn't informed of Alec's boy toy,"
"Magnus isn't a boy toy," he argued with red checks.
I give him a look, "Boyfriend then,"
"He's not," he mumbles.
"What are you then?"
He shrugs and looks down, "Dunno,"
I give him my best-shocked look before turning to Izzy, "And you allowed this? If Alec is dating someone it needs to be official so we can spill the tea," I get up from my seat, "Come skyscraper," he rolls his eyes at his nickname, "This cannot last,"
"What?"
Rolling my eyes, I drag him up, "We are going to Magnus' to make this official," his face went pale, "And I need to meet this man,"
"No,"
"You act like this is optional,"So, there we are standing outside of the high warlock of Brooklyn's apartment at 8 in the evening for 'no reason'. The rest of the group had joined for 'moral support'. Alec didn't press the button fast enough, so I pressed it.
"Who dares disturb the high warlock of Brooklyn?!" a voice boom.
When Alec makes no move I step forward, "Hi it's (Y/N), Alec's sibling. We're going out for drinks and Alec wanted to see if you wanted to come," Alec tried to pull me away, but I managed to finish.
He held his head in his hands while we waited for a response, "Give me 5 minutes," The door buzzed, and we all looked at Alec.
"I'm going to kill you, slowly and painfully,"
I roll my eyes as did my sister. "Alec, calm down. You'll be thanking (Y/N)," Isabelle said, linking arms with me.
5 minutes isn't as long when you are taking the rise out of your blushing friend. Magnus walks out and I have to take a moment. I get he's not straight, but I thought this was a stereotype; skin tight blue glitter trousers, a black button-up shirt (clearly expensive), smoky eye, and the best highlight I've ever seen. Why does he look so good? Alec one this battle.
Magnus grins at Alec and looks over the group, "You," he points at me, "Must be (Y/N),"
"Yes, I am that lucky," I say.
Jace rolls his eyes. "And you say I'm cocky,"
"But the difference is I have a right to be cocky. I'm amazing," I say in a 'duh' tone.
Magnus cuts us off, "Well who's leading the way?"
I look at Jace. "Why me?"
"You'll know the way," I grin. He rolls his eyes, "Twas a compliment. Now onwards."
As we're walking I hear Magnus ask Alec, "Has (Y/N) been drinking already?"
My brother chuckles, "(Y/N) may be weird," understatement, "but it's never boring,"
"I can tell,"
I grin and turn, "Thank you," I fake curtsey before linking arms again with Izzy. I couldn't help but notice Alec holding Magnus' hand.
The bar wasn't packed, so we were able to have space and play a couple games of pool. Clary had called Simon to join, (who was kinda cute and not as irritating as Jace said) and I bumped into Raphael. We weren't friends but we were? It was strange. We swapped insults, wit, and good gestures.
Going back up to the bar I order a coke (pretending it was vodka coke) and sit down. I glance over the bar. Alec was playing pool with Jace, taking it too seriously, clary was watching and rooting for Jace making him smile for real. Isabelle was talking to Simon, making him uncomfortable and giggling at his mundane jokes. Giggling? Really?
I smiled at the sight, taking my drink from Maia. "I'll have a Cosmo," Magnus said sitting beside me, "Thanks," he turned to me, smirking, "Do you drink? You can't pretend that's vodka coke with me,"
I shrug, "I don't need to be drunk to enjoy a night with the family. Someone's got to make sure they end up home in one piece,"
Magnus chuckled as he got his drink from Maia, "I never thought I'd get on with this many lightwoods,"
"We're a confusing bunch,"
He nodded, "Alec has defiantly proven that,"
"Your...?" He rolled his eyes with a smile.
"Boyfriend, official if you must know," he said. I grinned, "Though I suspect you were the one that got him to talk,"
I shrugged, "Prove it,"
Magnus chuckled and held up his glass to me. We clinked glasses, "Welcome home,"