Reality

Fingers hovered over the keyboards; every word typed was erased. Nothing was right. (Y/N) sighed as they worked in the now vacant library, the only light coming from their laptop. Shadowhunters used natural lighting as much as possible but once the sunset (Y/N) didn't bother turning the lights on or reaching for a witch light.

After every mission, you had to write a report. It's relatively simple even if tedious. This one was getting the better of (Y/N). that mission had been something else. Something they never thought would happen.

Everything was still, peaceful, that morning. Isabelle's attempt at pancakes had been thrown out and Jace had been smart enough to buy premade ones the day before. The group of 5 shadowhunter teens sat around the breakfast table aimlessly talking when an older shadowhunter walked over. "You're needed for a mission," he deadpanned before walking away.
"Good morning to you too, Roger!" (Y/N) called over, grinning. The group sniggered as the shadowhunter glared.
Clary had thought all shadowhunters were strict, serious, and rude till she met (Y/N). Clary was always reminded of the class clowns off of the tv sitcoms with a hint of Will Smith whenever (Y/N) spoke. "Why do you always get away with that?" Clary asked. Everyone else at the table would be yelled at or disciplined.
(Y/N) shrugged, "Dunno. I reckon it's because last time I went on strike I convinced half the institute to join me," Clary raised an eyebrow in disbelief, "Really. They insisted I, a 15-year-old, work weekends so I staged a protest and for a solid week half nearly everyone under 25 refused to take any new missions." (Y/N) told her, the rest of the table nodding in agreement, "It was chaos. They made us work ridiculous hours, so New York almost crumbled since there weren't enough shadowhunters. After negations were done they never really tried me again," (Y/N) shrugged it off.
"That's insane," Clary said, "What if the demons attacked the Mundanes?"
"Then the clave would give in and meet our demands. Which they did! I'd call it a success," (Y/N) said, polishing off their pancakes, "Now let the dog see the rabbit," (/N) said, grabbing the case file. "Oh, it's in Brooklyn. How fun," (Y/N) smirked at Alec.
"Do you live to annoy me?" Alec asked.
"Of course. Now eat up and shape up,"

(Y/N) thought back to the morning. Despite the wisecracks, everyone was happy, (Y/N) was happy. How it had changed. The mission was meant to be simple.

"Why are they sending all of us for a warning?" Clary asked as they walked into the shady part of Brooklyn.
"Because its protocol to send 4 to a suspected infrit den with a history and you're here to learn," (Y/N) said, smirking at Clary.
Clary scowled, hating that she was still technically being trained. "If I beat Sebastian surely I shouldn't still be in training?"
Alec rolled his eyes, "Its protocol. You have to do 3 years training,"
"Is that the only phrase you's two know?" Clary glowered, crossing her arms.
"Nope. I also know," (Y/N) said, clearing their throat, "shut up," Alec chuckled while Clary rolled her eyes, "Now let's pick up the pace,"

(Y/N) wished they could take that back. They should've walked so slow a snail would pass them.

The old house was eerily quiet though it was to be expected. Everyone pretty much thought this place was inactive. But the clave insisted on checking it whenever someone reported anything about it. this time someone had apparently seen someone knock on the door. The clave was determined to arrest someone.
Jace was the first through the door like always. Isabelle and (Y/N) stood on either side of Clary with Alec following behind them. This time though no one had their weapons ready. It was daylight outside, and they were stupid.
Thick dust hung in the air causing them to cough slightly. "Hey!" Jace called into the room. No reply, "Hello?!" the silence said nothing. Jace turned back to them, "This is a waste of time. Theirs not been an incident here since '98."
Isabelle shrugged, "Let's just be quick," she slowed her words though near the end of her sentence, "Did you hear that?"
"You're as crazy as the clave," (Y/N) told Isabelle, "No ones here," (Y/N) insisted before walking over to a creaky looking staircase and yelling up it "Hello! Anyone home!?" no reply, "See?" (Y/N) turned back to their friends and all colour drained from their face. "Watch out!"