Thiago Alcantara ~ Liverpool #1

Day 23 of CountDown to Christmas

The Premier League is so much different then the Bundesliga Thiago had noticed. He's only played a couple of games because of injury but he's still noticed a difference between the two leagues. The number of games played, the physicality of the games. So much was different. He's watched premier league games before so had an idea of what the games and league were like but you couldn't fully prepare yourself for it. Also understanding some of your teammates' accents (cough cough Trent and Robbo) was difficult especially when they get excited over something and their accents get thicker and somehow harder to understand. Christmas is another huge difference between both leagues. In the Bundesliga, after the final game before Christmas, they have about 3 weeks to 4 weeks with no games. They are allowed to have 2 weeks with their families which players usually go away to relax needing it after a tough start to the season. The other week is usually filled with training trying to gain some fitness and play together as a team again. In the Premier League, however, they have to play over Christmas. Most teams have to play on the day after Christmas meaning that they have to train for one last time before the game. This means that on Christmas Day they have to train.

"I've got training on Christmas Day," Thiago told you whilst the two of you were cooking together for dinner. It was something you both always did together when Thiago was home just so you can spend some more time together. It's nice cooking with him. Your children are usually off playing to doing homework so the two of you were alone together most of the time. He thought that now would be the perfect time to either tell you or remind you that he has to train on Christmas day. To be fair he only remembered because his teammates had told him earlier that day and Klopp talked about what time it would be and about the game 2 days later.

"What do you mean you're working on Christmas?" You asked him. Quite loudly as well. You weren't meant to be that loud or ask that question at all since you understood it yet it came out of your mouth still. You understood about it all and why they have training because of games that are upcoming but you still thought that they got Christmas Day off. A rest day before a match makes sense to you, but apparently, they have to go to training to make sure they are fit enough and ready for the game. Christmas Day is a day to be spent with loved ones, not for training. To be fair the team is also now part of his family but still.

"Apparently they do training on Christmas Day to prepare for the match which is either the day after Christmas or the day after that. It's 9 am to 2 pm so I'll be home for the main parts and for the night but during the day," Thiago explained.

"So you'll be here for them opening presents and then be back in time for Christmas dinner?" You asked him, wanting to make sure. At least he would be home for the main family moments. The part your kids (and you because of the food) enjoy most.

"Yeah and because we don't play until the 27th and it's a home game and I'm still sort of injured I will be home that night and won't have to travel," Thiago explained. You sighed not liking the fact that he had to train on Christmas but it was his job so you understood at least it wasn't all day and only for 5 hours or so. You placed down what you were using before walking over and wrapping your arms around him hugging him tightly. His arms immediately wrapped around you and he kissed you on the top of the head. It was silent for a bit. The only thing you could hear was the kids playing.

"You're telling the children that you have to work on Christmas Day though," you said to him in a tone that gave him no option to disagree with you. You knew that your kids hated when Thiago had to go away for training and games even though they loved watching him play. Every time Thiago would have to go away for training or games whilst they were home they would try to get him to stay. Once he was gone they were fine it was just letting Thiago leave. Him not being here during the day on Christmas because of training would kill them.

"Okay," he groaned already knowing that there were going to be tears and probably a bit of screaming and clinging. Your youngest would most definitely go over to Thiago and cling onto him. She was a proper daddy's girl.

"Let's continue making the food or else they'll be stomping down the stairs screaming that they are hungry," You said to him. He nodded and the two of got back to making dinner knowing how grumpy they can get if they don't get food. They definitely get that off of you.

Once the food was cooked you and Thiago dished it out and placed it onto plates before placing them on the table. You called the children down whilst Thiago made their drinks for them and placed them also on the table. All of your children and yourself and Thiago sat in your seats immediately dug into the food. Yes, you had designated seats and you always sat in them. It was near enough silent as all of you ate your food. You were too busy stuffing your mouth with food to speak and Thiago was trying to think through what he would say to the children. It would be better to let them know beforehand then them finding out just before he has to leave on Christmas Day for training. It would not be a nice and relaxing day for you if he ended up doing that so he tried to find the words.

"I've got to warn you guys of something," Thiago started. He would have to get this out and he had no idea how to start and finish it without getting tears. It wasn't going to happen. All of your children turned to face him so he knew that they were listening and Thiago started to talk.

"On Christmas Day I won't be here for the whole day because I have to go to training," Thiago said, making it simple. Simple and direct was the best way. It was silent for a moment as your children took it all in. You were the only one eating. Everyone else was trying to figure out what to say. You knew that it was only for a few hours but it was still a big deal for them. They would soon get used to it but the first year, this year would be unusual and strange for them.

"But you've never had to work on Christmas before?" Your eldest told him. He obviously knew that it was a different league but as far as he was aware everyone had Christmas off even if that wasn't true but he had also never watched the premier league so didn't know that they have games right after Christmas.

"This is a new league and a new team. They play over Christmas," Thiago explained to them. Your two oldest children nodded their head. They were clearly upset about it but continued to eat. You youngest was a different story sitting in her seat pouting.

"Come here," Thiago said pushing his chair away slightly. Your daughter instantly got off of her chair and ran over to him and sat on his lap. She cuddled into him and his hand ran through her hair.

"Daddy do you have to work?" Your youngest daughter asked him tears in her eyes. She innocently blinked at Thiago and his heart broke. He knew that it was his job and she would understand but it was still hard.

"Unfortunately pollito but I'll be here for when you open your presents from Santa and then I'll be back in time for Christmas dinner and after that, I'll spend all the time with you and your siblings until you have to go to bed," Thiago tried explaining to her.

"You promise?" She asked, shakily sniffing as well trying to get rid of the tears.

"I promise," He replied.

"Then we can play with our toys with you when you get back. You play with dollys," You daughter asked. Thiago had to hold back a groan. No matter how much he loves your daughter all she wants to ever do is play with her babies and dollies and it can get annoying especially when you have to also play it with her.

"Of course," He replied, kissing your daughter on the forehead. He then proceeded to kiss you and your other children on the forehead before sitting back down in his seat. Your youngest still on his lap. It was going to be weird not having Thiago home for all of Christmas day and for a week or so after Christmas but you'll get used to it and make it a good first Christmas in Liverpool.