Virgil Van Dijk ~ Liverpool #5

Day 18 of CountDown to Christmas

This year you and Virgil were ready for Christmas. You had gotten all of the presents and they were all wrapped up with their names on and put in certain places in your wardrobe knowing that your children never go in there so won't find the presents there. They were all ready to be put downstairs in the living room on Christmas Eve/Day. You also had all of your families and Virgil's families presents wrapped up and ready to be given to them as well as Virgil's. This is the earliest that you have ever been ready for Christmas. Every other year it was like a rush on Christmas Eve night when the kids went to bed to finish wrapping all of the presents since some of them came earlier that day and you haven't even begun wrapping the presents. So usually you get no sleep Christmas Eve night because you're too busy wrapping.

You were in the kitchen cleaning up the dishes that you had used to make tea for you and your children and the plates and cutlery you used to eat it as well as anything else that was there. You were waiting for Virgil to come home because he had been at training all day and then after had agreed to go out with a couple of the guys for a 'Christmas meal'. You knew that it was just an excuse to hang out but to be fair he hardly goes out with his mates and spends more time with you or the kids so you pushed him to go and hang out with his teammates. He can't spend all the time with you and the children, even you go out to spend time with your friends because you both occasionally need time to yourselves. He was reluctant to start with but you ended up pushing him to go by saying that you would lock him out of the house if he decided to come back before a certain time. You wouldn't really not wanting Virgil to stand outside in the cold for hours but he didn't have to know that the threat was an empty one.

You heard the front door open and knew that it was Virgil coming back. You just hoped that he would be quiet, not wanting him to wake the children. You had just put all of your children into bed and you'd rather them not wake up. You hadn't seen Virgil all day because you had left before he did this morning and when you came back he had already left for training so you were looking forward to spending the evening with him and if your children woke up you definitely would not get any alone time with him.

"Y/N," He said walking towards the kitchen. He had obviously heard you so he knew that you were in there. You turned away from the dishes and turned to face him and he was standing there with a guilty smile on his face. Internally you groaned wondering what he had done. You've hardly ever seen that smile on his face so you also had no idea what to totally make of it.

"I know that you said not to buy them anything else but I couldn't resist," Virgil said. So he had gone out for a meal with some of his teammates but apparently during the meal he had found some stuff that he knew that your children would like for Christmas even though you've already got them everything. How the hell had Virgil gone out for a meal and come back with presents anyway? Maybe you shouldn't have let him go out with his teammates then he wouldn't have brought home more presents no matter how much fun he had. You had to hold in a groan at those words but did slightly roll your eyes at him.

You were glad that you had managed to get your children to sleep before Virgil got home even if they all insisted that they wouldn't go to sleep until Virgil got back. Properly asleep as well, not the one where they try to fake it yet your parents still know you're awake but don't say anything about it and continue to pretend that you are asleep. Thank god they had a busy day so were all tired and fell asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillow. You'd rather them not find out about Santa Claus this way. You didn't want to be the one to break it to them, you want them to find out themselves when they're older. Yes you could probably easily turn this conversation so they still believe in Santa but you're tired and that means you can't be bothered to think properly. Also, you'd rather them not find out what they're getting for Christmas before Christmas because that just ruins the surprise and the excitement of Christmas morning.