Jughead Jones [5]

Title: The Best Year

This story is dedicated to my good friend: Jup_Hon4507 I Hope You enjoy

* * * *

Every year was the same, Cheryl would drag me to a party, I'd pretend to have fun and sneak out without her noticing. This year would be even easier to leave, considering Cheryl would be too busy with her girlfriend, Toni, to notice me. Thank you Toni!

I was growing annoyed as Toni and Cheryl were staring at me, trying to find an outfit to match my new look. Yes, I recently had a hair cut, I hated my long hair. 

"What about blue?" Toni mumbled. Cheryl shook her head. "No, blue is a boy's colour. It's not good enough for our little project." "Not a project," I told them. "I'm a human, a person."

"Purple?" Toni questioned, again Cheryl shook her head. "Why am I even here?" I asked them. "You both know I'll end up wearing black."

Both girl's eyes widened as they grinned viciously at each other. I could only think one thing. "Great, this is how I die."

* * * *

Never did I think I'd say this, but I was actually happy with my outfit. I wasn't wearing a skirt, or a dress, but a black jumpsuit. Yes, it had silver sparkles on the top half, but it was beautiful.

We walked into the party together, arriving one hour late, in true Cheryl Bombshell style. 'You Arrive Late, You Arrive In Style.' I'm sure that girl will be late to her own funeral.

All eyes were on us, staring, whispering, just how Cheryl liked it. I know Toni wasn't a fan of all the attention Cheryl got, at least not at first, but she understood that Cheryl needed it, she craved it like a Siren. It was the only way she would feel truly loved, at least during her teenage years.

I quickly separated from the couple, making my way over to Reggie, who gave me alcohol free punch. I loved having him as a best friend, he always looked after me, making sure I didn't drink any alcohol. He was practically an older brother.

"You look good, not your usual rat self," he teased. That was the closest thing to a compliment I'd ever receive from the boy. "Love you too, Reg."

I managed to stay hidden in the corner, watching as everyone else got drunk, let their hair down. Given all the drama, everyone deserved a break.

A frown was on my face as I noticed Archie and Betty standing in a corner, their lips attached.

The news of the 'Bughead' break up, spread like wildfire and I was honestly happy. I always thought Betty was kind of a bitch, but she was one of these girls who appeared nice. They were dangerous. At least Cheryl was a bitch and not afraid to admit it.

"It's disgusting," a voice mumbled from next to me. I looked at the person, only to see Jughead Jones watching the same thing as me. I didn't know how he could watch his ex girlfriend and best friend kissing, but good on him?

"Welcome to Riverdale, the town where friendships mean nothing and your friends will steal your partner," I said sarcastically, causing the boy to chuckle. "There's only been one friendship that's had no obvious difficulties. You and Cheryl."

He was right. Mine and Cheryl's friendship was one that never broke, the only thing that happened was we spent less time together, due to her having a girlfriend. Which was obviously understandable. She always made time for me, always. 

"Wanna ditch this joint?" he asked. "Yes," I replied instantly. I wasn't desperate to spend time with the outcast, I just wanted to get away from this boring party. I didn't like to party.

He grabbed my hand, pulling me away. I was unaware, at the time, that Cheryl had encouraged the boy to speak to me.

We made our way to an almost empty Pop's diner. We sat in a booth opposite each other, as we both ordered a milkshake.

Strangely, it wasn't awkward as we sat together, speaking about all the dramatic events. He told me how he was almost killed. I told him how the Blossoms wanted me to marry Jason.

We were speaking for hours, not realising it was almost midnight. Jughead had came to the same side of the booth as me, as we continued our conversation on the sweetest drink. "No, no, no you cannot think lemonade is sweeter than cream soda." "Yes it is," he said with a laugh.

"You're crazy, Jugo, crazy," I told him. He looked at me shocked, confusing me. It was then I realised I had given him a nickname, one he hadn't received yet. I wasn't sure what to do from here. Did he like the nickname? Did he hate it.

A small smile appeared on his face as he gently took my hand. "I have a confession," he started. "I spoke to Cheryl and she told me to speak to you."

My eyes widened as I pulled back my hand. He was only speaking to me because of Cheryl, if she didn't say anything, then we wouldn't be having this debate. "I-I." I was speechless, disgusted with myself. Of course he wouldn't willingly speak to me.

"I was nervous you see. You're beautiful and dark, like me," he said. "I needed advice on what to do and Cheryl was simple with her words of wisdom. She told me to speak to you, that you won't bite me."

My confusion grew. Did he want to speak to me, or was it just because Cheryl told him to?

He let out a sigh, before pressing his lips against mine in a short kiss. He pulled back and stared at me, waiting for my reaction. I wasn't sure what to do, at least for a moment. I grabbed his shirt, pressing his lips against mine in a more passionate kiss.

The sound of cheering, the sound of fireworks could be heard all around us.

"Happy New Year!"

The year was over, the dreaded year was finally done and I was looking forward to this new year.

I pulled back, gasping for air. "This will be the best year yet," Jughead whispered, pulling me into another kiss. It was the best start to a year I'd receive for a long time.

* * * *

* * * *