Kuma x reader | We'll Meet Again

Lyrical based on "We'll Meet Again" by Vera Lynn.

"We'll Meet Again

Don't know where, don't know when

But I know We'll Meet Again

Some sunny day."

"Hey, Kuma."

The library was quiet. Probably because it was one of the few room in the whole of the Revolutionary Army's base of Baltigo which was only used by a small handful of people, yourself and the man included. Not that the silence was bad, because it wasn't. It was always gentle and warm, comforting when you needed it most.

Your eyes trailed from where you had been looking at a book open in your hands, well-worn and well-loved as it cracked slightly in its binding, across to the large man who sat opposite you. He had one leg crossed over the other and was just looking down at the book in his hands: the bible. The thing he always kept close no matter what. He looked up to you, his expression ever-blank as you both sat in the mute atmosphere.

"Do you ever want something else to read?"

Kuma tilted his head back so he looked up at the ceiling. Who knows what the man thought, he was unreadable.

"I am content with what I have."

Simple. He always had a simple answer. Not that you minded at all, it was efficient and that was okay.

"Keep smiling through

Just like you always do

'Till the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away."

The day was moving on as a golden glow sprung from the window and off onto the large and old bookshelves which lined the walls. The only seats in the room, Chesterfield sofas in a deep green, were occupied by the both of you. A stunning persian rug in a beige and brown pattern covered the light floorboards and a coffee table stood on top, in front of the opposite sofas.

You were a woman of many talents, especially in fighting. No mercy was given to your opponents and you only expected no mercy from them. Nothing felt safe in this world, this world which was squeezed of all good and righteous things, except from him.

"So will you please say hello

To the folks that I know

Tell them I won't be long."

Sure, Kuma was a man of few words. Many found him intimidating and knew him as a tyrant, but you felt like you could do anything in the world when he was by your side. In battle, he would protect you. In mission, he would help you. In your free time, he would sit with you. No words could describe how much even the smallest action made you feel.

"Do you believe in god?"

You tore your eyes from the page which you were reading, closing the book with your hand in the middle to listen yet not to lose your page. His eyes were always so blank, but he watched with a gaze as you looked at him with those sparkling (e/c) eyes.

"Well," you smiled lightly to yourself, taking a look towards the window with the setting sun as it danced across your features, "I believe there is something or someone that created this world, yet, they abandoned their responsibility of keeping its peace."