Sengoku x reader | Truly Irreplaceable

Ever since the first day Sengoku had taken him in, you had become attached to the boy named Rosinante. He was a cute little thing, blonde hair which was so soft and the brightest smile you had ever seen. Although he was a bit shy, you always made sure to take care of him and let him know how loved he truly was.

"(Y/n), what's does this mean?"

As you crouched down with a book in your hand, the young child pointed at a word written near the top of the page. Rosinante was stood with his hands on your knee, leaning over you with this cute and curious look on his face.

"Conscientious? If someone is conscientious, it means that they do their job the best they can."

His little face lit up, his hands still rested on your leg as he bounced on the balls of his feet excitedly. The grin on his face made you smile, he was always so happy to learn new things.

"Oh! Like you and Sengoku-san!"

You followed where he began to point, turning your head just as the aforementioned man raised his rite eyes from his paperwork as he was mentioned. Sengoku's dark eyes happened to meet yours, your smile widening subconsciously. The man was doing the exact same, his lips twitching up upon seeing your expression. You felt a comfort in his smile, one which made you feel like nothing could hurt you.

Not realising just how long you happened to be staring, your eyes widened considerably as you shot to your feet; clearing your throat loudly. You just hoped the man hadn't seen the dusted pink on your cheeks.

"How about we go for a walk?"

Placing your hand gently on the boy's mop of blonde hair, you looked down at him affectionately as he held your trouser leg. His grin got wider as he made a grabby motion for you to pick him up, gladly doing so as he rested in your arms. He was getting older, heavier too at that.

"I'll come as well, I need to take a break."

You glanced around at Sengoku as he dragged his office chair back and stood, walking towards the door. Opening it kindly for you to which you thanked him, you stepped out with the man following close behind.

The walk was calm, just the two of you stood side by side - Sengoku's hands in his pockets and yours full with the young boy. You both talked about everything from work to Rosinante, both laughing when either of you made a joke. Only a few subordinates and co-workers were out and about, the majority in meetings or in their offices working. When they did come around, they would give you salutes or nods; quickly moving past as to not interrupt your day further. However, each time someone came across the two of you on your small stroll, they couldn't help but think the same thing as they saw you with the small boy in your arms.

'They really do look like a little family.'

~~~

"...what?"

Nothing was going to prepare you for what you heard. You had to shake your head, taking a hesitant step backwards, one hand moving to cover your mouth. It was a lie, it had to be. There was no way it could've happened, you weren't willing to believe it. Yet, there was a shatter inside of your heart; as if you had truly lost a part of it as the organ beat irregularly.

"No, you're lying-"

There was a prick in the corner of your widening eyes. You watched with a shaking head as the man sat at his desk, teeth clenched just as tightly as his fists, eyes closed shut. Breath picking up speed, you could feel the painful squeeze to your chest which had you press your hand further to your mouth. A lump in your throat caused you to choke on your own words, in complete denial.