Shanks x reader | Paths Crossing Once More

"My treasure? If you want it, you can have it. Search for it! I left it all in that place!"

As the blades came down on the form known as the man who became Pirate King, Gol D. Rodger, cheers erupted into the air. Loguetown was swamped in an unreadable atmosphere - happy for most - yet there were some who couldn't hold their sadness.

You almost tore your hair out from how hard you were gripping it, kneeling on the floor as you sobbed. Yet, no one could hear your pained cries over the cheering for his treasure: the One Piece. Nothing hurt more. You had never experienced such pain in all your life; how it felt like someone had taken your heart right out and destroyed it for all to see. The complete despair overcame you as you wallowed in agony. Rodger was not only your captain, but he was like your father.

"(Y/n)..."

There was a touch to your shoulder, so light yet was able to distract from your sadness because of the voice you knew well. Looking up with tears staining your face through the rain, you saw Shanks. Shanks, wearing the captain's Straw hat.

It felt as if the world had come crashing down as you walked along the rain-slicked, cobblestone streets: just you and two others. You, Buggy and Shanks were the kids of the crew, always known to be loud and always bringing laughter wherever you went. However, on this occasion, you were all deadly silent.

"Say, Buggy, (y/n)."

You only spared a glance to your nakama, your heart and head too heavy to do anything more. Buggy was quiet, so quiet it might as well not have been him, only giving a sad expression down to the ground.

"Do you guys... want to make a crew."

Suddenly, Buggy's eyes went wide and he clenched his teeth. He whipped around at Shanks and pulled him up by his collar with an angered look.

"Like hell I'm going to work under you! I'm going off myself!"

In complete astonishment, you watched as Buggy began stomping away. Why was it his reaction to everything had to be with anger? People have different ways of expressing sadness. Rage bubbled in you at the sight of him walking away like that as you stormed after you friend, tears pricking at your eye as you screamed his name. Shanks quickly reached out and grabbed the back of your jacket, stopping you from going after the clown as he rounded the corner.

"GET THE HELL BACK HERE, BUGGY!"

Shanks waited for your short-lived struggle to die down, watching your shoulders slump as you clenched your teeth. A sheepish and slightly sad smile was etched on the redhead's features, something you could see though his hurt words.

"(Y/n), you coming with me?"

You knew he was going to ask again. There was something that told you that it was a good idea to join him - protection and comfort. But there was also something, something deep inside of you, which told you that your paths weren't meant to be tied: not yet at least.

With tears in your eyes, you turned to your friend.

"I'll catch you later, Shanks."

The sun was setting behind you as your ship sped along the length of the Grand Line. You were completely alone - a solo pirate at that. Your hair was being whipped around in the wind as you held your arms out wide; letting the gales pull you along freely. The sea sparkled in golden colours as the distant sight of an island drew closer and closer.